Position: Technical Analyst I – Web Developer/Digital Librarian
Site: Toronto General Hospital
Department: Centre for Global eHealth Innovation
Reports to: Senior Scientist
Salary Range: $26.87-$33.59/hour
Hours: 35 per week
Status: Permanent Full-Time
The Centre for Global eHealth Innovation, a joint effort of the University of Toronto and University Health Network, is searching for a Web Developer / Digital Librarian to join their rapidly growing multidisciplinary team who´s vision is to improve health for all through information and communication technologies. The ideal candidate will have education and experience in web programming with Ruby on Rails (preferably also PHP / LAMP) Web / Web 2.0, website design and development, systems and server administration.
This candidate will be primarily the technical lead for WebCite (www.webcitation.org), an archiving system for cited web-based material, and provide general development support for the Eysenbach Research Group.
- Designing and implementing a web archiving system (www.webcitation.org) with PHP/MySQL
- Resolving any server/technical issues that arise with either webcitation.org
- Providing technical guidance and support for new research projects
- Liaise with publishers and long term digital preservation partners such as Internet Archive and others
- Undergraduate Degree in Computer Science, information science, related field or recognized equivalent
- Development of web 2.0 applications using Ruby on Rails or similar MVC framework (Django, Symfony, CakePHP)
- Strong understanding and experience building applications with at least one web scripting language (PHP, Ruby or similar)
- Ability to manage and deploy web applications on Linux using Apache, mod-proxy and Unix tools such as cron, rsync
- Solid understanding of relational database design and administration of MySQL
- Use of Rails features such as rake tasks and capistrano, mongrel is an asset
- Experience working with data in XML, use of XPath queries and other tools is an asset
- Experience with version control using Subversion is an asset
- Excellent problem solving skills and a love for technical challenges
- Capable of multi-tasking and prioritizing
Interest in and knowledge about Web 2.0 approaches
- Information science background, with technical knowledge about bibliographic and other metadata
- Interest in webarchiving and digital preservation issues
- Experience with content management systems, wikis etc.
- A hand and eye for design, experience with tools like Flash
- Experience with developing large/complex projects
In your cover letter, please describe how you address all the points above, and mention your salary expectations.
Only hospital employees, who have successfully completed their probationary period, have maintained satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
University Health Network has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.
Improving the patient’s experience through patient centred care! For additional information on patient centred care please go to: www.pickerinstitute.org