The Lead Designer is responsible for guiding development activities and reviewing product deliverables for functional performance and architectural conformance; Specifying and implementing the development platform, methodology and toolset; Advising, participating in and supporting projects and teams in the technical analysis of all critical systems in defining systems and software architecture; and leading and mentoring team members in key technical and domain principles.
Major Responsibility Areas
- Develop the macro design for applications based on business requirements.
- Review and approve micro designs for conformance to macro design and conformance to standards.
- Approve and participate in evaluation of change requests that affect design.
- Ensure the effective integration of application components with one another, with the targeted hardware and software environments and with OLGC strategic EWTA standards.
- Participate in the development of proposals/contracts and work estimates for new technologies.
- Ensures that technical processes and methodologies are being used for the design and development phases of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) on projects.
- Work closely with Relationship Managers, Team Leaders, Project Managers, Technical Specialists and Architects to ensure the alignment of technical solutions to the business problem.
- Ensure application designs are consistent, complete, appropriate and cost effective.
- Perform technical-related mentoring on design to project team members. Understand the OLGC technology and application architectural direction and ensures that the design is in line with it.
- Investigate and recommend solutions by providing analysis and application development expertise to the Preliminary Evaluation and Solutions Assessment process for all technologies.
- Maintain knowledge of current industry trends and new technologies.
- Participate on various domain teams and provide feedback to domain on changes and enhancements.
- Third-tier support. The individual will bring breadth of knowledge to solve problems.
- Provide feedback on Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) on the design, build and implement activities and documentation standards.
- Provide feedback on departmental initiatives to improve our Solution Delivery processes and methods.
This position requires:
- a minimum education level of a University Degree, College Diploma or equivalent with more than 10 years progressive experience in Information Technology in a medium to large computer installation, with 7 years experience design
- Proven system design skills, in a web-based J2EE environment, using OO principals.
- Leading joint applications design sessions/workshops with the participation of key stakeholders.
- Ability to understand and translate business needs into scalable, extensible, reliable and high-performance solutions.
- Experience with documenting solutions following RUP methodology and/or UML standard.
- Able to prototype a solution and mentor developers on the team.
- Experience in the development of large scale HTML based java applications
- Experience in tuning large multi user applications
- Software development experience in the majority of the following areas is required:
- Data warehousing
- Database development
- Object and Data Modeling
- Business system development
- N Tier development
- Real time application transaction processing
- Unified Modeling Language (UML)
- User Interface Design
- Application Integration Design
- Creating and enforcing standards
- Business analysis
- Superior ability to deliver results
- Excellent interpersonal and organization skills
- Strong written/oral communication, presentation/facilitation skills
- Strong leadership, problem solving and negotiation skills
- Proven ability to work well in a team-based, project environment
Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
The successful candidate will need to obtain and maintain an AGCO gaming employee registration (within 2 months of start date). OLGC will assist with this process.
The salary range for this position is $69,390 – $92,913 per annum.
Our preferred method of resume collection is on-line at olgc.ca , however, applicants can also send their resume, quoting file #HR04-414, to:
Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation
Attn: Human Resources Department
4120 Yonge Street, Suite 420
Or fax: (416) 224-7077
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.