University Health Network is a major landmark in Canada`s healthcare system and a teaching hospital of the University of Toronto. It consists of Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital and Princess Margaret Hospital. Building on the strengths of this remarkable Hospital network, the new organization brings together the talent and resources that make it an international leader in healthcare.
Position: HUMAN FACTORS CLINICAL EDUCATOR
Site: TORONTO GENERAL HOSPITAL
Department: MEDICAL ENGINEERING
Reports to: MANAGER
Salary Range: $30.38 – $44.05 (Midpoint: $37.97/hr, suggested maximum hiring rate) Commensurate with experience and consistent with UHN compensation policy
Hours: 35 Hours
Status: PERMANENT FULL TIME
University Health Network is a major landmark in Canada’s healthcare system and a teaching hospital of the University of Toronto. It consists of Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital and Princess Margaret Hospital. Building on the strengths of this remarkable Hospital network, the new organization brings together the talent and resources that make it an international leader in healthcare.
Based in the Centre for Global eHealth Innovation, the Healthcare Human Factors Group’s mandate is to ensure the appropriateness, ease of use and safety of medical devices and health information technology through human factors evaluations. As an integral member of this team, the responsibilities of the Human Factors Clinical Educator, Healthcare Human Factors Group include:
- the development of clinical scenarios to be used in the HF evaluation of medical device technology and related information and communication technology;
- participating in HF evaluations of various health related technologies, including providing preliminary training on the technology, briefing and debriefing participants and observing outcomes- developing training recommendations and programs to address the issues uncovered during human factors evaluations;
- acting as a clinical champion for the promotion of human factors processes in the development and evaluation of safe usable clinical technologies;
- liaising with clinical leadership to encourage and ensure clinical staff participation in human factors evaluations- preparing detailed reports of the evaluations to be published in peer-reviewed journals as necessary
- preparing detailed reports of the evaluations to be published in peer-reviewed journals as necessary
- Develops educational strategies for healthcare technologies based on findings of HF evaluations as appropriate, while considering time constraints, resources available, workflow etc.
- Researches, identifies and prepares relevant educational resource materials using a variety of different media, including presentations/lectures, etc.
- Uses a variety of educational methodologies to address the needs of the target audience(s)..
- Engages/leads nursing participation in HF evaluations communicates and disseminates relevant information to staff through staff meetings, memos and other methods..
- Participates in Human Factors evaluations.
- Performs analysis, recommendations, conclusions, and reporting.
- Maintains involvement in research activities, including collecting and analyzing data, writing research proposals, papers and reports, as needed.
- Analyses and interprets research results.
- Disseminates research findings through presentations and publications.
- Actively engages in the promotion of the Centre as leader in the area of HF in healthcare.
- Bachelors of science degree in nursing, or recognized equivalent required.
- Completion of the specialty specific certification program required.
- Masters degree preferred.
- Adult education/teaching certification preferred.
- Current certificate of licensure/registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario required.
- Experience with medical device technology preferred.
- Strong IT background and skills preferred.
- Memberships in HF professional organization preferred
POSTED DATE: February 09, 2006
CLOSING DATE: February 28, 2005 by 3:00PM
Please respond to the screening questions to the best of your ability and quote Posting # 142487 when applying.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer. Improving the patient’s experience through patient centred care!.
For additional information on patient centred care please go to www.uhn.ca