George Weston Limited (â€œWestonâ€) is a Canadian public company founded in 1882 and is one of North America's largest food processing and distribution companies. Weston has three reportable operating segments: Weston Foods, Food Distribution and Fisheries. The Weston Foods segment is primarily engaged in the baking and dairy industries within North America. The Food Distribution segment, which is operated by Loblaw Companies Limited, the largest food distributor in Canada, concentrates on food retailing while increasing its offering of non-food products and services. The Fisheries segment is primarily engaged in the hatching, growing and processing of fresh farmed salmon in North America and Chile. Weston seeks long term, stable growth in its operating segments through continuous capital investment supported by a strong balance sheet, thereby providing sustainable returns to its shareholders through a combination of common share appreciation and dividends. Weston strives to be the best in each of its reportable operating segments.
The Weston/Loblaw Corporate Systems group provides systems support and development for the corporate offices of George Weston Limited and Loblaw Companies Limited. The Corporate Systems group also assists with the planning, negotiating, managing and/or designing of all enterprise related systems issues such as application development, telecommunications, purchasing, vendor relations and security.
- Collaborate in the definition of user interface design standards for Weston / Loblaw applications, to optimize ease-of-use and achieve an integrated and consistent look and feel. Translate requirements into design within the limits of standards.
- Work closely with usability team members and other internal stakeholders to build storyboards, proof-of-concept mockups, demos and prototypes of applications and websites from use cases that articulate logical user flow. Produce user interface designs in the form of wireframes and/or full graphical product design diagrams.
- Design web interfaces based on requirements and standards that demonstrate an understanding of customer requirements, using techniques based on usability theory and concepts related to creating visual flow.
- Design, develop, document and test publishing and content related applications to meet system design specifications.
- Develop the user experience for a variety of web-based applications targeted at a non-technical consumer group – designed to make complex tasks simple for the ordinary user. Ensure application components are developed with quality, scalability, and performance as primary objectives.
- Maintenance and enhancement of existing business and content related applications.
- Conduct ongoing research of web-based user interface development best practices.
- Design web graphics using Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, Freehand, Fireworks.
- Optimization of graphics, HTML and CSS.
- Rapid prototyping using Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, and HTML.
- Work within project schedules and deadlines.
- A related Bachelors’ degree, Graphic Design, New Media Diploma or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with Visio. Also with Dreamweaver and/or Visual Studio.net.
- Proficiency with relevant design software particularly Photoshop, Illustrator.
- Experience with multiple graphic file formats, such as .gif, .eps, .psd, .jpg.
- Experience dealing with browser compatibility issues and cross platform support. Solid understanding of cross-browser/platform issues, and knowledgeable in development tradeoffs between speed, design, flexibility, and the underlying page architecture.
- Experience coding easily skin-able pages.
- Experience with unit-testing, version control and issue tracking software (VSS, Rational).
- Experience working with web project teams: i.e. Business Analysts, Software Developers.
- Fluent in information architecture and interaction design and have the ability to visualize and design simple but compelling user experiences.
- Understanding of Windows environment.
- Understanding of server-side scripting: ASP, ASP .NET, or equivalent server technology.
- Knowledge of usability and coding practices for accessibility. Knowledge of how to maximize code reuse.
- Knowledge of and experience working with best practices in information Architecture and User Interface design.
- Strong communication and problem solving skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Integration with content management systems (considered an asset).
- Windows operating system familiarity (considered an asset).
- Experience with web content management Systems (considered an asset).
- Development of multilingual web applications (considered an asset).