Research In Motion LimitedÂ® (RIM)Â® is a world leader in the mobile communications market and has a history of developing breakthrough wireless solutions. RIM’s portfolio of award-winning products, services and embedded technologies is used by thousands of organizations around the world and includes the BlackBerryÂ® wireless platform, the RIM Wireless Handheldâ„¢ product line, software development tools and software/hardware licensing agreements. RIM is seeking driven individuals who can take our wireless data products to the next level in the global wireless market. Are you ready to make a difference in the world of mobile communications with RIM?
Research in Motion’s Software Usability Group is currently looking for a Usability Analyst to join our growing team. The ideal candidate must have a good understanding of design principles and practices, as well as solid usability evaluation skills. As a result of the work done in this position, our customers will find RIM products easier to learn and use and accomplish their tasks most efficiently.
This position includes the following activities:
- Working on specific projects from conception to realization to ensure that usability is incorporated into the whole process. Specific tasks are as follows:
- Work with requirements team to gather requirements for new and existing products
- Define information maps to improve product usability
- Design low-fidelity prototypes to show design concepts
- Define user model, workflows, and interaction design for the products
- Create UI specifications based on ISO 9241-11 principles
- Design and implement experimental protocols to identify software usability issues and compare the merits of alternative proposals
- Create test materials and participate in administering usability tests
- Translate usability research findings into concrete design recommendations
- In this role the successful candidate will:
- Work closely with senior project and product managers across cross-functional teams to ensure that critical issues are addressed and the project objectives are fulfilled
- Provide leadership and guidance to the usability team members from a multidisciplinary background in embedding usability in the software development lifecycle
- Contribute to the ongoing development of UI standards and guidelines
- Develop and apply innovative usability metrics for the purpose of continual product improvement
- Develop and implement standards to promote user-centered design throughout the organization
- Ability to work independently on usability projects from start to finish
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- A graduate degree in Human Computer Interaction or a similar field (or equivalent experience).
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in the software industry with at least three years of Human Factors job experience in the areas of gathering user requirements, scenario development, conducting usability evaluations, and questionnaire/survey design
- Solid knowledge of user interface design principles and practices
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong background in experimental statistics and data analysis
- Usability test facilitation experience.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills. Should be able to communicate with both business and technical audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn and thoroughly understand new technologies
- Self-motivated with the ability to manage multiple projects in a fast paced environment
- Knowledgeable of current wireless industry UI/UE trends a great asset
- Understanding of industry best practices such as Six Sigma and CMMI is a big plus
- Knowledge of design tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator and Visio an asset
If you’re driven to take wireless technologies to the next level, it’s time you join the team at RIM. We offer a challenging environment that fosters creativity and rewards excellence. Employees also have use of our award winning BlackBerry!
©2005 Research In Motion Limited. All rights reserved. The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties of and trademarks or registered trademarks of Research In Motion Limited. The specifications and features contained in this document are subject to change without notice.