The Manager, Creative Design is expected to have deep expertise in the research or design components of our work and to engage with a spectrum of Creative Design methods and processes. The UE Manager will lead the team’s work on a daily basis and execute on our client work as needed. We expect that this Manager will work closely with Directors and project leadership to ensure that project goals are framed to meet the client’s business goals and objectives.
From Understanding to Design and Back Again
Our integrated methodology begins with and understanding of the user which is then interpreted in a meaningful way in order to design solutions that will meet both user needs and client objectives. We expect this Manager to oversee the research, design, and development of solutions for our clients and to drive iterative evaluative processes as needed.
The Manager will work with Creative Design and project leadership on scoping, planning and estimation activities, as well as mentoring, coaching and guiding Associate and Senior Associate Creative Design practitioners. It is understood that the Manager of Creative Design will have a practical knowledge of all other Sapient domains, and will be actively working to enrich their understanding across Sapient’s domains.
In performing the essential functions of this role, the work environment is fast-paced, moderately noisy and team-based. Additionally, frequent travel is required.
All managers must be practitioners of the first 5 responsibility areas; solidly proficient in 2 of the 4 remaining responsibility area; and maintain a growing understanding of the 2 that are outside of their original area of expertise.
- Sales and Business Development
- Acts as managing member of pursuit team, leading UE effort as framed by leadership. Develops POV for Sales & Business Teams on selling value of UE
- Team Leadership & Management
- Leads UE team on medium sized engagements by guiding, defining, and prioritizing team’s work and project strategy. Drives UE staff and work towards successful completion of objectives and deliverables. Ensures a positive, collaborative work environment for the team. Mentors and coaches UE team members
- Manages day to day operations of UE work on projects. Provides performance-based feedback to team members. Communicates progress of team to project and BU leadership. Creates appropriate tools for operational management. Maintains and manages the UE portion of the project budget
- Client Management
- Manages peer-level client relationships (expectations, communications, negotiations, escalation, feedback, etc.). Creates communication plan to ensure client satisfaction and approval
- Knowledge Management
- Identifies and communicates best practices within and across Bus;
- Works with Directors and BU leadership to develop tools for knowledge sharing and management
- Thought leadership and Domain Development
- Work with BU and domain leadership to identify and share best practices across BUs and practice units. Begin to develop positions on new value sets relevant to issues within one’s BU.
- Begin to be accountable for ensuring that project learnings and best practices are made relevant to initiatives within GP&S
- Research & Modeling
- Support initial problem framing and scoping when necessary or appropriate. Operationalize high level user experience agenda in terms of project plans, research tools, and team process. Manage experience research tracks on small to mid-size projects;
- Work with project leadership and to ensure progress and quality of data analysis, and modeling. Oversee the development and communication of models/research deliverables. Actively seek to evolve concepts and approaches based on client objectives
- Solution Planning
- For a medium-sized project: Work with project leadership to develop clear articulation of new/changed/ UE that will drive a business objective. Work with project leadership to develop specific solution plans that enable new experiences and meet business objectives.
- Develop a broad understanding of all the skill-sets within UE. Manage & integrate solution development for Information , Visual, Content & UI Design. Educate and inform design value of UE to industries and internal communities
- Support team leadership in establishing customized client metrics and benchmarks for assessing value and success. Operationalize evaluative criteria in terms of testing plans and protocols
(For candidates with strong research expertise)
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree (MA, Ph.D.) in the social sciences (Anthropology, Sociology, Psychology, Linguistics), humanities, business, or human centered design preferred. A Bachelor’s degree in any of the above plus relevant work experience may substitute for advanced degree.
- Minimum 3 – 5 years of related experience
- Significant prior research and consulting experience
- Subject matter expertise in social scientific research methodology and/or Sapient industry sectors
- Excellent problem-framing skills
- Excellent argument-building skills
- Keen sense for the social logic behind human behavior
- Excellent team leadership skills
(For candidates with strong design background)
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree (BA, BFA, MFA) in graphic design, interface, information, interaction design, design planning, literature, communications, or human centered design preferred. Additionally, significant relevant work experience in any of the above areas may substitute for advanced degree.
- Minimum 3 – 5 years of related experience;
- Demonstrated, understanding of how explicit business value can be synthesized into innovative design solutions;
- Leadership ability in design and solution development with expertise in many of the areas listed above;
- Project experience in managing and working with large distributed global team;
- Demonstrated experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously in a complex multi-practice design environment;
- Active contributor to thought leadership within UE;
(For all candidates)
- Diagrammatic sensibility; strong orientation toward ‘modeling’
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Visualization skills or the ability to leverage design resources to visually articulate models
- Strong sense of process and the ability to innovate on process tools and conventions
- Ability to work collaboratively on multi-disciplinary teams
- Solid command of User Experience offerings (across research and design)
- Experience in project management and staff development
- Experience in client management and business development
- Administrated commitment to mentor and share knowledge across teams and company-wide.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this role, which include hearing, speaking, typing, and occasionally moving and/or lifting up to 15 pounds.