2 year contract
The Web Application Developer will be the lead programmer in a small team conversion of a traditional client-server application into a modern web service, utilizing exciting new elements and ideas stemming from “Web 2.0” philosophies.
The ideal candidate is an experienced, passionate software developer that is comfortable working independently as well as part of a fast paced small team. With a strong background in web application technologies such as J2EE, this individual is excited by the future of the web as a platform, and would like to push the envelope with new tools and methods such as Ruby on Rails and AJAX. The candidate understands the importance of high quality code, peer review and documentation. A positive attitude, with a willingness to understand and adapt to the nature of the group benefits business is essential.
This position will appeal to someone that thrives in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment offering rich learning opportunities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Time Allocation: 75%
- Designing, developing and implementing a medium sized web application, under the direction of the HMI Project Leader as part of a small team, including:
- Analyzing Business requirements;
- Responding to and participating in the creation of standard UML diagrams;
- Delivering high-quality, useable code towards a prototype;
- Delivering a successful finished product;
Time Allocation: 10%
Acting as a mentor and technical expect for junior developers within the team, and assisting the HMI Project Leader in strategic project decisions by providing sound technical analysis.
Time Allocation: 10%
Maintaining effective code standards, documentation and version control, as part of a quality control program.
Time Allocation: 5%
Assisting the HMI Project Manager in managing prototype development throughout an iterative development cycle.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience of Ruby on Rails, and a sound knowledge of the Ruby programming language and its associated constructs.
- Solid experience in web application development for business, preferably in a J2EE environment, although .NET developers will be considered.
- Understanding of principles and concepts of the web as a platform, and familiarity of Web 2.0 philosophies, including AJAX.
- Structured software development experience, in either an agile or iterative environment.
- Direct Apache/Linux experience an asset.
- Group benefits or other insurance industry experience and knowledge a definite asset
Training, Education and Experience
- At least 6 months experience with Ruby on Rails.
- A minimum of 5 years experience as a software developer, focusing on web applications in J2EE or .NET environments.
- Post secondary degree in Computer Science or post secondary education with relevant work experience
- The ability to demonstrate your experience directly, by means of web applications or an online “portfolio” is a definite asset.
Critical Success Factors
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise sound judgment
- Ability to work well individually, as well as in a team environment
- Proven time management and multitasking abilities
- Ability to work under pressure.