2 year contract
The Web Application Designer will be responsible for designing and implementing the client side interface within the conversion of a traditional client-server application into a modern web service, utilizing standards based development, AJAX techniques and modern, user-focused architecture.
This position will appeal to someone that thrives in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment offering rich learning opportunities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Time Allocation: 75%
Conceptualizing, designing and constructing a standards based graphical user interface for a medium sized web application, under the direction of the HMI Project Leader as part of a small development team, including:
- Designing the “look and feel” of the application
- All client side coding, including responsibility for maintenance of machine generated code
Time Allocation: 10%
Working with the project’s Business Analyst to conduct ongoing usability and accessibility testing throughout the development cycle.
Time Allocation: 10%
Using AJAX techniques where appropriate to enhance GUI usability
Time Allocation: 5%
Maintaining effective code standards, documentation and version control, as directed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Graphical design skills, and the ability to utilize industry standard applications such as Adobe Photoshop or Macromedia Fireworks
- Demonstrated ability to translate designs into table free XHTML/CSS by hand. (i.e. without the aid of WYSIWYG applications)
- Understanding of principles and concepts of the web as a platform, and familiarity with Web 2.0 philosophies, including AJAX.
- Experience working within a Ruby on Rails environment an asset.
- Experience working within a traditional software development cycle an asset.
- Group benefits or other insurance industry experience and knowledge a definite asset
Training, Education and Experience
- Demonstrated completion of at least 2 standards based web sites, preferably professional web applications, and a continued commitment to standards based design.
- A minimum of 2 years experience as a web designer overall.
- Post secondary degree in Graphic or Web Design or a great natural talent with relevant work experience.
- The ability to demonstrate your experience directly, by means of an online portfolio is a definite asset.
Critical Success Factors
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise sound judgment
- Ability to work well individually, as well as in a team environment
- Proven time management and multitasking abilities
- Ability to work under pressure.