Originally from Organic Careers
A Manager, Interface Engineer (MIE) is a manager and mentor to a group of interface engineers. The (MIE) is responsible for the career development, training, and support of all direct reports as well as overseeing development across complete project life cycles. MIE’s will be involved (about half of his or her time) in a project team to provide technical direction and guidance, act as a lead technology architect, or contribute directly to interface design and implementation. MIEs are accountable for the quality of the deliverables produced by their staff. MIEs will review and audit the deliverables of the staff as appropriate to ensure the production of a high quality deliverable meeting all project specifications within the time budgeted to create the deliverable. Additionally, MIEs work in cooperation with their manager and Human Resources to recruit a team of interface engineers as needed.
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent work experience.
- 1-year experience as a Manager of Interface Engineering or equivalent.
- 3 years experience managing or supervising a team of engineers in the implementation of end-to-end web based systems. Experience within a consulting environment is preferred.
- 4 years experience in a digital production environment.
- Proven experience with Shockwave, Flash, SMIL, Real Audio/Video and other rich media applications and protocols.
- Experience with application-server template scripting is desired; JSP, ASP/VBScript, ATG Dynamo, IBM WebSphere, and BEA WebLogic are preferred.
- Knowledge of Macintosh and Windows operating systems and associated browsers, applications and utilities.
- Experience with either content management systems, search engines, personalization engines or community tools including selection, configuration and deployment.
- Experience with version control, issue tracking, and build/release management is desired; PVCS Dimensions is preferred.
- Ability to perform within a highly parallel, task/module oriented project team.
- Experience authoring formal specifications and related documents.
- Ability to deliver projects on time, with high quality, and within budget.
- Experience in participating in multiple consulting or development engagements in parallel.
- Ability to deliver full life cycle engagements.
- Ability and desire to thrive in a high-pressure, client-services driven environment.
- Delivering projects on time and within budget, and with high quality.
- Developing client side interfaces using Flash, HTML/DHTML, JSP, ASP, Shockwave, and others as required.
- Providing leadership and technical direction to a group of interface engineers on assigned projects.
- Assisting in the development of the functional specification of client projects.
- Working collaboratively with the creative staff to decide interface implementation details and rich media interfaces.
- Working with the creative team to verify designs are web safe.
- Designing and developing Template Architecture, Engineering Architecture and other relevant portions of the technical specifications as required.
- Providing technical leadership in a designated area to the team.
- Developing standards documents as appropriate.
- Participating in the implementation of Engineering group development methodologies.
- Facilitating the education and skill improvement of other Organic personnel by supporting in-house training programs.
- Writing and delivering performance reviews for all direct reports.
- Taking a leading role in departmental meetings.
- Leading code and design reviews.
- Tracking and reporting on all personal tasks and time.