Location: Toronto, ON
Job Category: Architecture
Company URL: http://www.mdsintl.com
Year(s) of Experience: 5
Date Posted: Oct 4, 2005
Reports to: Manager, System Engineering
Department: System Engineering
MDS SCIEX is a global leader in the research, design and production of analytical instruments that enhance the quality of life for people around the world. As part of MDS Inc., our core purpose is to make a distinctive contribution to the health and well being of people. At MDS SCIEX a large emphasis is placed on continued learning, teamwork and employee well being. We have an extensive learning program and wellness program to help our employees maintain balance and growth within their lives.
- Develop and maintain a user-centered design approach for MDS Sciex.
- Lead a cross-functional team that uses this approach to create successful user experiences. This position will focus on two software products in an XP (Extreme Programming) development environment and include an element of hardware human factors requirements gathering and analysis.
- Lead a cross functional UI design team, providing training and
instruction to other team members in customer research techniques, usability techniques, and user-centered design.
- Apply ethnographical interviewing and observational techniques to collect information about how our customers work and what their goals and tasks are. Disseminate this information appropriately through the project team.
- Coordinate and arrange customer visits for the purpose of insight gathering and prototype testing. Facilitate this type of visit for other functional groups as required.
- Write user requirements based on information gathered from end user and participate in project requirement definition and analysis.
- Develop and maintain personas, task flow models and other user information.
- Develop and test UI prototypes using a variety of tools and testing techniques including customer and internal reviews.
Write UI design specifications and test stories, scenarios (use cases) that can easily be interpreted by the rest of the project team.
- Develop usability test plans, plan and execute usability studies,
analyze data and provide actionable recommendations to product managers and development teams to.
- Evaluate competitive software from a usability and user experience point-of-view.
- Provide leadership to product development teams to ensure appropriate application of human factors and usability principles, techniques, and results to product development.
General Skills Description
- 5 + years experience in interaction design, usability, and UI design.
- Post-secondary degree in Cognitive Psychology, Computer-Human Interaction, Information Design etc.
- Extensive experience with ethnographic studies, contextual research, field testing etc.
- Extensive experience with UI prototyping tools.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent organizational and analytic skills.
- Detail and deadline oriented.
- Self-starter who can take a project and run with it.
- Hardware human factors/ergonomic experience an asset