Location: NY or Toronto
New technology, new business models, new opportunities = a new breed of venture capitalist.
An established venture organization setting out to engage a community to increase its impact as a venture investor is seeking an experienced online community manager to join our mission and expanding team. The organization, based in New York City, intends to harness the wisdom and participation of a knowledge-based community to improve its investment processes and decisions, meaningfully engage with its portfolio companies, and build out an entrepreneurial ecosystem.
About this Position
The community will consist of a unique amalgam representing the cross spectrum of entrepreneurialism and venture capital. Founders, investors, academics, seasoned company builders, talented students, C level suite members and all manner of professionals will be involved and rewarded both intrinsically and extrinsically for their participation. Your job will be to build, evolve and sustain this community.
- Managing our Blog and Forum platform, as well as other community tools and utilities.
- Statistical performance design and analysis.
- Forum and topic management: encourage user discussions, help users get the info they're seeking, create forums and topics that meet the needs of the users and the organization and other housekeeping duties, including some host and volunteer management.
- Proactively recruiting the community through a variety of methods including direct outreach, partnering, and viral strategies.
- Assisting in the formulation and development of responsible user policies.
- Significant component of consumer-facing, front-line work such as
- Monitoring incoming user-generated content in forums as well as member-to-member private messaging and compliments and our wiki guides.
- Providing e-mail support to our community of users.
- Dealing with and resolving escalations of problematic user and policy concerns.
- Leadership of forums and member-to-member policy, identifying when policies might need to flex or change and proposing recommended changes as appropriate.
- Define tools requirements and work with engineering and/or product managers to achieve tools improvements on both functionality and reporting/tracking capabilities.
- Monitoring positive and negative buzz on the Web and in the blogosphere.
- Cultivating relationships with keyâ€powerâ€ users and responding to inquiries from top users on a timely basis.
- Developing metrics to monitor the health of audiences and preparing weekly re-ports for management.
Required Skills and Experience
- 3-5 years experience as an online community manager at a publicly available site or project. Experience at more than one site is preferable.
- Deep understanding of the mechanics of how online community programs and applications work.
- Sufficient technical knowledge to have productive conversations with technical staff in the service of making or improving our offering.
- Ability to work across a cross-functional team that includes product management, marketing, engineering, editorial, and public relations
- Good social skills online and in person. Patience and wit are essential.
- Strong, professional writing skills in both a traditional business format and within an online context.
- A passion for and an understanding of how to leverage Web 2.0 tools for social change.
- Experience moderating group discussions.
- Fascination with entrepreneurship is plus.