Open Text is the world’s largest independent provider of Enterprise Content Management software* The company’s solutions manage information for all types of business, compliance and industry requirements in the world’s largest companies, government agencies and professional service firms* Open Text supports approximately 46,000 customers and millions of users in 114 countries and 12 languages* For more information about Open Text, visit www.opentext.com.
Purpose of Position
Product Designers research, identify, and solve complex software design problems in an innovative, highly collaborative environment* Product Designers work directly with program managers, product managers, architects and development leads to further Open Text’s customer-focused design efforts.
Under the guidance of and in close cooperation with Open Text’s Program and Product Managers, the Product Designer works with domain experts and key lighthouse customers to translate high level requirements into designs leading to detailed requirements that deliver compelling experiences that solve business problems* Product Design is responsible for designing the user experience framework, interaction and interface design for complex enterprise software applications.
Product Design works intimately with development to steer implementation details by advocating on behalf of the “customer” in the iterative software development life cycle* In your role as Product Designer, you are the primary decision maker on implementation options affecting the customer experience.
- Support Program and Product Management by performing user research and developing ongoing relationships with customers.
- Capture customer stories and build an understanding of customer problems and needs.
- Analyze, synthesize and communicate customer research findings in order to highlight customer needs and help Program and Product Management anticipate market change.
- Identify and create user personas, buyer personas and associated scenarios.
- Conceptualize, design and deliver intuitive and compelling designs for a complex product suite, working closely with product managers and architects to ensure designs clearly support business objectives.
- Contribute personas, scenarios, and conceptual design solutions for market opportunities to the business plan.
- Create user experience artifacts such as wireframes, conceptual models, and low-high fidelity prototypes.
- Assist architects and product managers with assessing cross product and operational impacts of proposed development projects.
- Facilitate requirements meetings, ideation sessions, design reviews and focus groups with internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintain day to day contact with the development team to refine and revise requirements and implementation details, based on an agile/iterative development process.
- Provide input on personas, scenarios, and use cases for QA, PI, Learning Services, and Technical Marketing to support them in creation of their deliverables.
- Translate customer needs and requirements into design specifications, provide design expertise, and advocate user needs throughout the development lifecycle.
- Inspire the development team to develop products that meet customer needs.
- Validate designs with customers and other stakeholders throughout the development lifecycle.
- Mentor peers, stakeholders and teammates on customer-centered design principles and methodologies.
- Contribute to and help champion best practices, toolkits, and standards, fostering a customer-centered culture.
- Maintain an awareness of current trends in interaction design and competitive software to identify opportunities to enhance the user experience.
- Visit domestic and international customers (may travel 25% of time).
Knowledge, Education and Experience
- 5+ years working with an experience design team or diverse experience in areas such as development, writing, and professional or learning services.
- Degree in Computer Science, Human Factors Engineering, Cognitive Science, Interaction Design, Industrial Design, or related experience* Master’s preferred.
- Strong technical background or the ability to quickly understand and articulate interactions in a complex technical environment.
- Passionate about creating products that best serve the needs of the user.
- Diverse and eclectic interests and work experiences is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and design for complex business tasks.
- Must present a portfolio that demonstrates a strong understanding of and passion for experience design.
- Experience designing large enterprise software.
- Experience planning and facilitating customer research activities, including design sessions, focus groups, workshops, and contextual research.
- Experience performing user research and disseminating results to broad audiences and successfully driving improved designs.
- Experience working with agile (user-centered design) desirable.
- Highly motivated to effect change.
- Self-reliant, self directed and used to taking initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, multi-task, and meet tight deadlines.
- Goal driven: plans and manages toward achieving goals.
- Ability to anticipate problems and issues and proactively drives their resolution.
- Excellent listener, facilitator, communicator, and team player.
- Top notch communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Effective at influencing and convincing colleagues.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to conceptualize complex systems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills across all levels.
- A strong ability to translate business objectives into defined tactics with the ability to implement them across multi-functional and multi-site groups.
- Demonstrated ability to accept responsibility and accountability for decisions made and their consequences.
Ceridian Talent Acquisition Practice
People are your most valuable asset* Assess, interview and hire top performers faster with support from Ceridian’s comprehensive talent acquisition services* Experienced professional recruiters can help you focus on strategic business initiatives, while we build the foundation of talent on which your organization’s reputation and success thrive.
We are pleased to be recruiting top talent for our client Open Text Corporation.