Research In Motion LimitedÂ® (RIM)Â® is a world leader in the mobile communications market and has a history of developing breakthrough wireless solutions. RIM’s portfolio of award-winning products, services and embedded technologies is used by thousands of organizations around the world and includes the BlackBerryÂ® wireless platform, the RIM Wireless HandheldÂ¿ product line, software development tools and software/hardware licensing agreements. RIM is seeking driven individuals who can take our wireless data products to the next level in the global wireless market. Are you ready to make a difference in the world of mobile communications with RIM?
The Manager, User Experience Design will manage a growing team of usability professionals who work on the full range of BlackBerry products and services. The successful candidate must demonstrate technical, personal, and team leadership to drive user-centered design throughout the product development process, from concept to commercialization. The User Experience Design team conducts user and task analysis, develops use cases and personas, creates and evaluates design prototypes, and conducts user research and usability testing. The manager must continuously improve the overall planning and execution of these activities across the teamÂ¿s portfolio of projects, help the team translate research findings into concrete product requirements and recommendations, and package, present and ‘sell’ ideas and recommendations to other teams and to senior management. The manager will manage the performance and development of team members through goal setting, performance reviews and feedback, and provide ongoing leadership and support. He or she will assign projects and provide appropriate direction and support to team members to help them succeed. The manager will develop and maintain relationships at all levels of the organization, as well as with external customers and partners, to foster collaboration across functional areas, set strategic priorities, standardize and streamline processes, and resolve conflicts. In addition to managing the team, the successful candidate should also be prepared to directly oversee higher profile projects, and must be willing to perform hands-on activities if necessary.
h. Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Post-secondary education in human computer interaction, systems design engineering, or a related field
- 10+ years experience working in a professional environment on user experience research, design, and testing
- Proven ability to develop, lead, and motivate high performing teams
- Experience managing user experience activities throughout the software development lifecycle
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects at once in collaborative, fast-paced environments
- Strong research and quantitative skills, including statistics and data analysis
- Excellent problem-solving skills to translate research into practical recommendations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to present ideas effectively to both technical and business audiences
- Experience planning and facilitating usability testing, focus groups, and customer interviews
- Solid understanding of user interface design principles and practices
- Must be passionate about user-centered design
- Prior exposure to quality management methodologies (such as Six Sigma) is an asset
If you’re driven to take wireless technologies to the next level, it’s time you join the team at RIM. We offer a challenging environment that fosters creativity and rewards excellence. Employees also have use of our award winning BlackBerry!
© 2007 Research In Motion Limited. All rights reserved. Research In Motion, the RIM logo, BlackBerry, and the BlackBerry logo, are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be pending or registered in other countries. These marks, images and symbols are owned by Research In Motion Limited. All other brands, product names, company names, and trademarks are the properties of their respective owners.