University Health Network
Position: HUMAN FACTORS ANALYST
Site: TORONTO GENERAL HOSPITAL
Department: MEDICAL ENGINEERING
Reports to: MANAGER
Salary Range: $31.72 to $45.99 per hour (midpoint: $39.65/hr, suggested maximum hiring rate) Commensurate with experience and consistent with UHN compensation policy
Hours: 35 Hours
Status: PFT (PERMANENT FULL TIME)
As an integral member of the Medical Engineering department based in the Centre for Global eHealth Innovation, the responsibilities of the Human Factors Analyst, Healthcare Human Factors Group involve planning, coordinating and supporting the Human Factors evaluation of medical devices, healthcare information systems and other clinical tools and processes using the Centre’s Human Factors laboratory and live clinical environments.
- Conducting human factors analyses and evaluations of medical devices, healthcare technologies, environments, workflows and processes including:
- Planning and coordinating end user evaluations including developing protocols and methodology using the Centre’s HF laboratory and live clinical environments
- Performing data analysis, developing design and training recommendations, preparing detailed reports of findings and presenting findings to clients
- Liaising with appropriate vendors/suppliers and partners to facilitate and support planning of the device and software evaluations including technical and lab set up;
- Conducting heuristic evaluations, preparing detailed reports of findings and presenting final reports to clients
- Publishing results and findings in peer-reviewed journals
Collaboration with Partners and UHN
- Collaborating with partner organizations such as Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC), Ontario Hospital Association (OHA), Canada Health Infoway (CHI), other government organizations to propose, develop plans and execute HF evaluations and research studies of devices, healthcare information systems, and other clinical tools and processes
- Collaborating with internal UHN teams and departments, including SIMS, to develop plans and execute HF evaluations and research studies of devices, healthcare information systems, and other clinical tools and processes
Video Recording and Editing
- Set up of recording equipment and data capture tools prior to usability studies
- Technical support and trouble shooting during usability studies
- Video editing of usability study footage to create highlight reels
- Training staff on use of cameras and recording equipment
Lab Marketing and Promotion
- Providing tours of the Centre to internal UHN employees and external clients and visitors
- Marketing and promotion of the lab facilities to potential clients and vendors
- Completion of a recognized degree in Human Factors Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Systems Design Engineering or equivalent preferred.
- Human Factors experience preferred.
- Experience working in a hospital environment preferred.
- Experience with medical device technology preferred.
- Strong IT and digital AV background and skills preferred.
- Eligibility for Registration as a Professional Engineer (P. Eng.) in Ontario with the PEO preferred.
- Memberships in HF professional organization preferred
POSTED DATE: October 1, 2007
Please send resumes and cover letters to:
Manager, Healthcare Human Factors