Job Posting â€“ New Media Designer
The AGO is presently in the midst of a major expansion project called Transformation AGO. We are seeking a New Media Designer to contribute to the digital side of the AGO transformation as part of a team that is passionate about web technology and its potential to bring art and people together.
New Media Developer
Transformation AGO presents a unique opportunity to redesign our web presence and to build a foundation for future digital exploration. Reporting to the Manager of New Media Design, the New Media Developer will work on the re-design of ago.net and provide ongoing support and evolution of web systems that meet business goals and customer needs.
- Plans, develops, tests, deploys and documents new web applications and templates. Implements ongoing web site infrastructure and feature improvements in response to needs of the Gallery's public programming;
- Administers and monitors servers and scripts;
- Updates web content and templates. Administers distributed web authoring process;
- Maintains contact with Service Providers and IT staff to troubleshoot and remedy issues with hardware, software or networks and install, update and backup web servers, application servers, database servers and operating systems.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Sciences, Information Systems, or other comparable degree is required with some years experience of web development;
- Demonstrated experience developing web applications and providing webmaster support for large, dynamic websites. A portfolio is required;
- Demonstrated fluency with commercial application servers and open source solutions. Preference given to candidates with ColdFusion/MSAccess/IIS and Python/MySQL/Apache;
- Demonstrated working experience with content management system development and customization. Candidates with Django experience will be given preference;
- Demonstrated working experience with search technology (particularly Htdig) and mailing list managers (particularly Dada Mail);
- Demonstrated working knowledge of current web development standards such as WAI, CSS and other W3C specifications;
- Well developed knowledge of Windows, Mac, FreeBSD and Linux RedHat;
- Demonstrated experience with system planning and design;
- Well developed communication, interpersonal, time-management and organisation skills;
- Well developed problem solving skills.
Applications should be received by September 28, 2007 and submitted to :
Staff and Volunteer Resources
Art Gallery of Ontario
317 Dundas St. West
Fax: +1-416 979 6689
Email: [email protected]
The AGO is presently in the midst of a major expansion project designed by Frank Gehry, which will include new galleries to house the AGO's collection of 20th century European painting and sculpture, international contemporary art and the Thomson Collection of Canadian historical paintings, European art and ship models and Asian decorative arts.
The Art Gallery of Ontario is the tenth largest art museum in North America, with more than 68,000 works of art dating from the 1st century to the present. The Gallery's major collections, overseen by twelve curators, include Canadian historical art, European Old Master and modern paintings and sculpture, the work of Henry Moore and his contemporaries, European and Canadian prints and drawings, photography, international contemporary art, Inuit art, African and Oceanic art. When completed, the AGO will increase its viewing space by 47% and augment its collection by 10,000 new works.