HSBC User Centered Design (UCD) is an internal consulting team that specializes in usable and accessible e-commerce solutions. With locations in Asia, North America and Europe, the global UCD team provides core services of usability testing, user interface design, user research and content development. Working with a variety of business and technology platforms, UCD projects include public facing websites, intranets, staff applications and mobile devices.
We are seeking a Senior User Researcher with a passion for user experience to join our team. As a Senior User Researcher, you will, Use research expertise to discover, understand, promote, and communicate the goals of the end user while balancing needs of business and brand; Partner with User Interface Designers and Content Developers to design, deliver and communicate the results to clients and stakeholders; Manage User Research through the project lifecycle and oversee other User Researchers assigned to projects; Play a larger role in promoting and marketing the UCD team’s services throughout the company.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in user research efforts such as: Field observation, focus group facilitation, usability testing, competitive analysis, heuristic evaluation, stakeholder interviewers, and contextual inquiry
- Conduct ethnographic research to develop a deeper understanding of our customers, their goals, and the challenges and opportunities they encounter using HSBC products; Translate these research findings into user personas, scenarios of use and concept models to support the design and development of web sites and applications
- Close collaboration with User Interface Designers to develop materials for usability testing, and overall confirmation that design directions are consistent with the finding of user research
- Apply user-centered design principles, human factors, usability, industry best practices and standards, and social research methods to each project. Additional facilitation of collaborative group meetings, consensus building and the coordination, development and facilitation of usability tests
- Conduct studies of conceptual alternatives and prototypes to guide design solutions. Provide input to business strategy based on your understanding of our customers
- Interpret the information you obtain from customers to provide design recommendations. Drive and enable the adoption and use of best practices and innovation across business units
- Evaluate and translates research findings into actionable insights and design improvements.
- Adhere strictly to compliance and operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC and regulatory standards, policies and practices; report control weaknesses, compliance breaches and operational loss events
- Complete other related duties as assigned, and support the Company’s Diversity programs
Qualifications and Requirements
- Masters degree with 5 or more years experience in the area of HCI, Cognitive Science, Human Factors, Usability Engineering, Anthropology, or related fields
- At least 2 years experience leading ethnography, usability, or ease of use studies developing products and services
- Strong understanding and practice of the fundamentals of user research or ethnography
- Knowledge of usability engineering and field study methodologies, notably designing and conducting usability studies, heuristic evaluations, and contextual inquiry
- Laboratory, interview and observation skills including exposure to tools such as Morae, OVO or eye-tracking technologies
- Excellent written and oral communications with strong project management skills
If you are seeking a challenging and promising career, HSBC has a world of professional opportunities for you to explore. We offer a competitive Total Rewards Package, including incentive pay, plus reduced rates for loans and mortgages. We make a point of rewarding performance, supporting professional development and providing Work Life solutions.
How to Apply
To apply please visit "About Us" at www.hsbc.ca.
At HSBC, we value diversity in our workforce and invite all qualified candidates to submit a cover letter and resume. We appreciate all responses and advise that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.