Position Profile: Web Application Developer
It's really pretty simple. We're “Silicon Valley” in Toronto. We develop cutting edge technologies in financial services. We employ exceptionally talented, highly intelligent people. We foster a spirit of innovation and creativity.
At OANDA, you will work under the leadership of world-renowned computer science and economics experts. You will develop and challenge your skills every day. You will have the flexibility to be self-directed in your work within a collaborative team environment. You'll enjoy the immediacy of a small company but use the most advanced tools/technologies that a large firm can offer. You will contribute to the growth and direction of OANDA Corporation, and your contributions to the success of the company will be recognized and rewarded.
If you want to compete on a global level, work with the best and brightest, and if your work can stand up to the daily scrutiny of your peers, then please read on…
Who We Are
OANDA Corporation is a high-growth, financially stable software development and data services firm focused on the /$2 trillion per day/ foreign exchange industry. Our goal is to drive the development of global foreign exchange by building the technologies that underpin this lucrative, fast-paced industry. We are a small firm with a world-class service line and a global customer base. We are extremely successful in a highly competitive industry, while having fun and building a friendly, learning-oriented culture.
OANDA has a sustained history of innovation and growth. Founded in 1996, OANDA:
- Launched the first online currency conversion data service, which today is referenced by over 85,000 websites.
- Launched the FXTrade^TM platform â€“ the first graphical-based forex trading platform to offer true 24/7, fully automated online trading with immediate execution and second-by-second interest. (We execute over 300,000 trades daily.)
- Provides data and currency services to organizations such as global accounting firms, international banks, major airlines, news organizations, government tax authorities, and major financial companies.
- Developed the â€œForex Trader's Bill of Rightsâ€ and leads the foreign exchange industry in promoting transparency and ethical conduct.
For further information about OANDA Corporation, please visit our website at www.oanda.com.
Role Description – Web Application Developer:
At OANDA, you will be responsible for the development and production of PERL-based web applications that must run in a high-volume, real-time environment. You will work closely with company management, software engineers, and marketing to understand business requirements and to develop functional and technical specifications. You will be responsible for the full SDLC, including design, development, testing, documentation, and implementation. You will develop web applications and interfaces within a UNIX environment. You will also develop databases in SQL and will build complex queries. You will test your software creations on various internet platforms, and will be responsible for the quality and stability of front-end code.
Additionally, you will also develop web sites and web page layouts, and will also support the Web Designer by implementing web page views in an MVC (Model View Controller) system using CSS.
This is a permanent position, located in Toronto.
The Skills You Bring
- At least 2 â€“ 4 years of experience in web-based software design and development, and database design, with a strong focus on development using PERL.
- An undergraduate degree in Computer Science or a related field. A graduate degree would be an asset.
- Strong knowledge of web application programming and scripting languages. We welcome demonstrations of web development portfolios.
- Experience working in a UNIX and/or Linux environment.
- Experience programming databases (SQL) and building complex queries
- Knowledge of CSS and AJAX would be an asset.
- Experience developing in Java, PHP and/or C++ would be an asset.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- A strong team orientation combined with the drive and ability to contribute at the individual level.
- Exceptional communications and interpersonal skills. Strong written and oral communications skills are required.
Please forward your resume and cover letter in confidence to [email protected].