The University of Toronto is hiring its first-ever Social Media Officer.
The Social Media Officer will be responsible for planning and then executing social media strategies so the communication between the University and its 11,000 faculty/staff and 70,000 students will be easier, more open and two-way. S/he will be a member of a new, dynamic team, the Department of Strategic Communications – a team whose job is to pioneer new communications strategies for U of T. As Canada’s leading research university, we aim to be pioneering in everything we do.
S/he will be the go-to person for advice on the whole range of U of T’s online media. This includes helping U of T re-work its websites so that they are places where all of the people we interact with – from 17 year old prospective students, to leading academic researchers and government and business decision makers – can intuitively find what they’re looking for
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- A minimum of five years’ experience working in the field of new media from a content perspective, including web design/architecture, preferably in a large organization.
- First hand experience in creating and using social media and Web 2.0 tools (Wikis, RSS, Pod casting) is essential, as is a feel for continued developments in new technologies
- Equally essential is a high degree of demonstrated success at managing projects from start to finish,
- Proven commitment to keeping up to date with the latest
Plus, more generally:
- Sophisticated time management skills (including the ability to
manage several tasks concurrently)
- Ability to plan ahead and forecast timelines and ability to
negotiate timelines with colleagues in other computing departments in the University
- Team spirit plus the ability to work independently
- Demonstrated creativity: the ability to think innovatively about
technology and its applications for communicating specific kinds of messages to internal and external audiences, especially in a University environment.
- Demonstrated skill in managing relationships and requests with tact, diplomacy and persuasion – particularly in the role of a project manager.
- Eager to receive mentorship and close leadership.
The Social Media Officer will help re-shape the way one of the world’s best universities speaks with a global audience, and the way it talks to and engages its own community.
If you’re interested, please apply online at http://www.jobs.utoronto.ca/Career_Opportunities.htm, click on “External” and, under “job number search”, enter: 0700181.