BiblioCommons is a dynamic, Canadian start-up that is working to re-define the online experience of public libraries – institutions that collectively engage a massive number of users across North America annually. It's an opportunity to push the frontiers of affinity-based social networking, and to bring social discovery applications into the mainstream.
BiblioCommons is hiring a User Experience Lead to take the reigns in developing a ground breaking application that will provide a complete â€œSocial Discovery Systemâ€ for North American libraries.
The ideal candidate is:
- Passionate about shaping the future of online collaboration
- A tireless advocate for the user: both in terms of valued functionality, and usability
- A creative force with the instinctive ability to combine compelling user experience with exceptionally intuitive interfaces
- A fanatical user of the read/write web â€“ who instinctively absorbs emerging design patterns, but at the same time understands the needs and preferences of mainstream users
You User Experience Lead will define all aspects of the functionality and architecture of our solution including:
- Envisioning the full range of the application's functionality: Translate user and business requirements into functional requirements
- Documenting it: Define user interactions with site maps, wire frames, user flows, labeling systems, prototypes etc
- Testing it: Oversee all aspects of ongoing usability research
- And Refining it: nimbly integrate findings of research and site usage analysis back into the design process on an ongoing basis
Demonstrated ability with some combination of the following:
- 3+ years experience designing highly interactive web-based applications. (We are open to considering a wide range of experience levels, and will adapt role as appropriate.)
- Initiative in pushing boundaries to create a best-in-class user experienceHands-on proficiency with various design and prototyping tools (i.e. Visio)
- A clear ability with visual communication—iconography design, colour usage, and typography, etc
- Experience in iterative user testing: Translating customer feedback and site analysis into innovative, easy-to-use interfaces
Personal Characteristics â€“ The ideal fit:
- Thrives on the chaos and opportunity of ambitious, fast-paced startup environments
- Combines strong personal vision with the ability to collaborate easily with equally talented peers
- Excited by the possibility of having an impact on the continued success of a vital public institution
We have fabulous clients who are eager to push the boundaries in leading the way. If you'd like to be part of the team that collaborates with them to design and deliver these groundbreaking applications, please submit your CV and cover letter to: [email protected]
We thank you for your application but only qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.