General Dynamics Canada is this country’s premier defence company. We have achieved a global reputation for providing leading-edge, technology based solutions to the armed forces in over 20 countries – from NATO to the Pacific Rim.
We have a tremendous group of over 1,800 highly talented, creative and committed engineers, technologists and business professionals who are responsible for our continued success and growth. It is up to us to ensure that our people are continually encouraged and challenged to grow both personally and professionally.
In addition to flextime, social events and fitness facilities, we offer a very competitive salary environment and generous benefits.
Purpose of Position
The Human Factors Team at General Dynamics Canada is responsible for ensuring that products and systems are designed with the end user in mind. At GDC the HFE team is located within Specialty Engineering which is within the Engineering matrix organization. The applicant will be a member of the HFE team.
The applicant will be responsible for representing HFE on a variety of communications system programs, in the design of computer Graphical User Interfaces and equipment human interface design. The applicant will be responsible for coordinating the development of requirements, creation of designs, writing HFE/HSI plans and processes, and writing design documents.
This requires the applicant to communicate and multi-task with these programs on a daily basis. Strong communication skills are essential for the applicant to interface with subcontractors, the customer, and other GDC engineering groups. The applicant needs to be a highly motivated team player and should have 3 to 5 years of human factors work experience in a range of projects. GUI design experience will be an asset.
The applicant should be familiar with some or all of the following documents: Windows User Experience Style Guide,MIL-STD-1472, DEF-STAN-0025, ANSI/OSHA/ISO standards, MANPRINT, MIL-HDBK-46855.
Travel may be required
The expected duties will include:
- Review equipment and system specifications for HFE and requirements content.
- Apply HFE / GUI standards, processes and contractual requirements to the equipment and system design.
- Prototyping and implementation of GUI designs, and input to hardware designs.
- Perform HFE evaluations and OI evaluations.
- Make presentations of HFE requirements and designs at design review meetings.
The ideal candidate will have (as a minimum):
- 3 to 5 years experience implementing HFE in a range of defense or commercial projects;
- Effective written and oral communication skills and must be a motivated team player.
- Strong Human Factors/GUI knowledge
- Requirements analysis / allocation
- Functional task analysis
- Perform testing of designs
- GUI Design
- Somewhat familiar with System Engineering
- Good verbal and written communication
- Able to generate plans and monitor progress
- Independently motivated
- Able to multi task effectively
- Team player
One or more of the following degrees:
- Computer Science (GUI Design), Industrial Psychology, Industrial Design, Kinesiology, or related Engineering degree with a focus in Human Factors design
- Applicants will be required to obtain/hold a valid and current Canadian security clearance to gain access to the classified spaces, information and equipment in order to perform the work associated with this position which requires a minimum 5 year consecutive residence in Canada.