Durham Regional Police Service is seeking a Web Application Developer. Reporting to the Manager, Strategic Planning, the Web Application Developer will design and develop databases, develop queries, and various database driven applications (web, desktop, system service) to create a management information system that will support analysis of operational data from various DRPS systems (e.g. records management, CAD, PeopleSoft). The primary purpose of this job is to assist development of a management information system by creating web interfaces that will support data analysis used in making operational decisions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Utilizes experience in databases and queries in a MS SQL environment.
- Designs, develops and tests web based applications to perform various complex data extraction and analysis tasks according to specifications. System design; coding, debugging and testing; report writing; and full implementation of deliverables.
- Works closely with Strategic Planning Unit members, and others across the DRPS (i.e. IT members; patrol sergeants) to define user needs and test output before deployment, and conducting usability/accessibility testing throughout the development cycle.
- Analyzes business and data processes, predicts risk and impact.
- Scopes system requirements and gathers and prioritizes user requirements.
- Models the dynamics of system data and functionality using work diagrams, structure charts and state charts.
- Develops interface and takes products from conception to specification.
- Prototypes new products for production release.
- Uses strong computer and networking troubleshooting skills to assist in diagnosing problems with created content and provides technical support for application users.
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of 3 years Post Secondary Education at the University level or its equivalent with a Degree or Diploma in Computer Science/Applied Arts, or a related field to ensure and demonstrate technical knowledge and competence.
- 3-5 years experience developing databases and queries in an SQL environment is required to design, write, and test computer program(s) that will perform various complex data extraction and analysis tasks according to specifications.
- Proven depth of experience is required in web application design is required to competently and efficiently develop interfaces.
- Excellent multimedia development skills and report writing skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Proven excellent communication skills (written, oral and listening and comprehension) including written and oral presentations and educational/training material.
- Demonstrated excellent networking and interpersonal skills, with proven ability to interact diplomatically, tactfully, and confidentially with all levels of people.
- Highly developed organizational and time management skills to complete multiple assignments effectively and efficiently.
- Previous pertinent experience is necessary to develop proficiency in creating critical decision-support applications.
- Demonstrated experience successfully working in a team environment is required.
- Knowledge of visual studio an asset.
- Production level development experience in the .net framework is an asset.
How to Apply
Applications must be received no later than 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, December 13th, 2006. Please submit resume with a cover letter by mail. Please quote job number 06-71.
Please submit resume and cover letter by e-mail [email protected].