This posting also appears at navarik.com/home/blog/?p=305”
Navarik”:http://www.navarik.com, based in Vancouver, Canada, is the leading software-as-service provider for the worldwide maritime shipping industry. For over six years, we have been using established, proven Internet standards, tools, and techniques to build, run, and maintain web-based IT systems that help major global customers in a very large industrial market solve their problems in collecting, using, and sharing their critical business information. In the process, we are applying the major changes taking place on the public web to modernize enterprise IT systems and business processes.
We’re looking for a highly technical Director of Software Engineering and Development who can drive technical projects and provide leadership for a group of 10+ engineers in a fast paced environment. You will be responsible for the overall planning, execution, continuous improvement, and success of the projects.
This role has both operational and strategic responsibilities to ensure that the technical elements and engineering initiatives meet specified milestones and schedules. You will directly manage a team of software engineers, including hiring and disciplinary matters, performance management, team assignment, project evaluation and budgeting, reviewing and adjusting compensation, and coaching and developing staff.
- Estimating engineering effort, planning implementation, identifying project risks.
- Working with Marine Group, QA, Interface, and Operations teams to design, build, and deploy innovative solutions that meet our customers’ needs in functionality, performance, scalability, and reliability.
- Creating and executing project plans for development projects.
- Scoping, sizing, and status monitoring of tasks to ensure timely delivery of all development deliverables.
- Devising and implementing standards of excellence within your engineering team, including architecture and design principles, coding standards, tools, etc.
- Managing engineering projects with a “hands-on” approach.
- Managing engineers, including day to day task assignments, individual management, direction, and goal management.
- Communicating the scope and status of projects to the rest of the company to help ensure that everyone at Navarik is aware of the size and progress of systems in development.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- Extensive experience managing the development and ongoing technical improvement of enterprise web applications.
- Extensive experience developing and managing development in a Linux/Unix/Open Source/LAMP environment (PHP, Python, Fedora, PostgreSQL or equivalents).
- Strong knowledge of the technologies and infrastructure surrounding enterprise software development; ability to learn about complex products quickly; ability to lead and to establish credibility with smart engineers.
- Strong project management skills including the ability to identify and mitigate non-obvious risks to the development process; ability to define achievable goals without sacrificing innovation.
- Ability to effectively communicate both product vision and technical details to engineers, senior management, and customers as needed.
- Unrelenting committment to quality.
- Ability to provide hands-on management.
- Superb leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills working across multiple teams and divisions.
- Passionate about leadership, quality, and exceeding expectations.
- Strong and recent experience designing, engineering, and deploying high performance and high availability systems.
- 7â€“10 years overall experience in relevant disciplines.
- 5+ years of related experience in managing software engineering teams.
- 5+ years hands on project management experience.
- 5+ years experience with web applications development and SQL technologies.
How to Apply
To apply, email your resume and cover letter (plain text, HTML, RTF, or PDF only please) to “[email protected]”mailto:[email protected], or fax them to +1 604 633 0019. We will contact only those applicants from whom we'd like more information.
Please include the date on which you become available for this job when you send your resume and cover letter. You must be available for interviews and to work in Vancouver.