We are looking for a Senior-level person with Usability Testing and Interaction Design skills to join the Business Objects User Experience team for North America, located in Vancouver, BC. This position will be part of an international team of professionals who drive a User-Centered Design process and define the user experience of complex, rich-client applications.
The UE team is responsible for user experience planning, design, and validation of the Business Objects suite of business intelligence query, reporting, and information infrastructure products. This role will work with the North American UE Design Lead, software development organization, product strategy, and sales teams to define new products, assess the usability of prototypes, and influence the future direction of existing products.
- Lead user-centered design (UCD) process for the development
of product features, with particular emphasis on user research studies and usability inspections.
- Work in cooperation with the Program Manager and Product
Manager to define and test product features and functionality.
- Plan, coordinate, and/or conduct all necessary UCD activities
throughout the product lifecycle, including task analysis, conceptual modeling, cognitive walkthroughs, interaction design, graphic design, heuristic evaluation and usability testing.
- Produce scenarios, flowcharts, wireframes, storyboards,
prototypes, and interaction design specifications as necessary.
- Work closely with development teams to ensure that design
specifications can be implemented, making acceptable design adjustments as necessary.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Expert in Usability and Interaction Design, with 5-7 years of
experience in software development of desktop and/or web-based
- Thorough understanding of UCD practices and principles, and
substantial practical experience in their application
- Demonstrated experience with different types of usability and
user research methods, such as lab studies, field studies, surveys,
ethnographic studies, heuristic inspections, cognitive walkthroughs,etc.
- A passion for bringing the user’s perspective into the design
and development process.
- Excellent analytical ability, especially with regard to
observation of user behavior.
- Ability to work independently, effectively prioritizing time
between multiple projects.
- Ability to work well in cross-functional team that includes
engineers, product managers, program managers, and UI designers.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
Desired Knowledge and Skills
- Experience working for companies that develop rich-client
applications for business applications.
- Experience in the interaction design of enterprise business
applications (financials, enterprise services automation, human
resources management, supply chain management, and/or customer relations management).
- Rapid prototyping skills, including the use of Macromedia
Director/Flash, Visual Basic, RealBasic, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe
Illustrator, or other graphics programs.
- Experience with business intelligence and/or reporting
- Experience with international user research or remote user
- Knowledge of Early-stage user research methods such as
contextual inquiry, paper prototyping, card sorting, personas
- Masters degree or equivalent experience in Human-Computer
Interaction or a related discipline.
To apply, send your resume and link to your portfolio to
Join Business Objects today and get on track for some of the most exciting technical and business opportunities in the software
marketplace. The company offers a comprehensive array of benefits, competitive salaries, bonuses, and commissions to eligible employees around the world. Equal Opportunity Employer.