Mid-town Toronto, ON
Own the visual design that defines BeSocial.com as well as art direction and brand identity for the company.
Interested in working for a startup technology company with lots of energy and excitement? BeSocial.com is looking for the brightest and most talented candidates to join our team. We’re a small company based in Toronto with a great opportunity for anyone who joins to make a big impact.
At BeSocial, we value efficiency, working smart, and exceeding the status quo. We place great emphasis on maintaining a transparent and autonomous environment where everyone’s opinion is respected and where people’s contributions are acknowledged and rewarded. BeSocial is also proud to be an equal opportunity employer; we’re not influenced by race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, or any other factor irrelevant to doing a great job.
If you feel you’re up to the task, we’d love to meet you. If this is not a fit for you, please feel free to forward this message along to others who may be interested in learning about this opportunity.
The Ideal Profile
- You’re an experienced user-centered designer focused on both visual and interaction design for the web.
- You think strategically, deliver pixel-level detail, and have a passion for visually defining a brand. You also have a talent for understanding users and identifying their needs so that you can design and document solutions to real-life problems.
- Design various aspects of our online presence, such as web user interface design, page layouts, promotional landing pages, email newsletters/campaigns, and Flash banners.
- Design (occasionally) graphic print pieces for marketing, developer communications, presentations at conferences and high profile meetings.
- Maintain working knowledge of CSS and HTML (although another team member will be responsible for production code).
- Quickly understand the constraints of a design challenge and identify the tradeoffs.
- Monitor visual design consistency across all projects and mediums: layouts, color palettes, typography, iconography, etc.
- Communicate your design thinking via thorough specifications and reviews. Produce design deliverables that are easily accessible by anyone in the company.
- Provide feedback to the product development process and contribute to prioritizing work.
- Work under the pressures of deadlines, handling multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
- Contribute to a culture of innovation and teamwork.
- 3+ years visual design experience at an agency, studio or contractual work.
- Extensive knowledge of visual design, information design, and interaction design.
- BFA or MFA in Graphic Design, Digital Media Design or Visual Arts.
- Required software and technical knowledge: Photoshop, Illustrator, and Fireworks.
- Strong portfolio featuring design samples.
- Experience with a version control system such as Subversion.
- Proven ability to define problems and solutions independently and with teams.
Assets (not required)
- Experience creating or maintaining visual interface guidelines.
- Full understanding of W3C standards, specifications, and best practices with respect to security, scalability, maintainability, reliability and usability, as well as cross-browser compatibility issues.
- Desired software and technical knowledge: Flash.
- Academic background in human factors/ergonomics, cognitive science, psychology or HCI.
- Experience conducting user testing.
- You love food and dining out, otherwise known as a Foodie.
Part-time, with the opportunity (and willingness) to join our growing team full-time.
You’re preferably located near central/downtown Toronto and will work remotely from your home/office.
A competitive compensation and equity package will be negotiated based on experience and performance. Comprehensive health and dental benefits are available for full-timers.
Join Us…Apply Today!
Want to join us? Please send your resume and a cover letter with the subject "Your Name – Visual Designer – via BeSocial.com" to [email protected]. You must include a portfolio that shows deliverables you directly worked on. All communication and correspondence is held in the strictest confidence to ensure that you can connect and learn more without exposure.
Only those candidates who are considered for an interview will be contacted.