The primary responsibility for this position is the design of all human – computer interfaces and workflows on both Geosoft desktop applications and server-based solutions.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Design user interfaces for user models, workflows, and dialogs for new and existing Geosoft products and features.
- Develop high level and/or detailed storyboards, mockups, and prototypes to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas.
- Assist in the creation of graphical elements to support implementation of the final user interface design.
- Team up with subject matter experts to create designs that offer a natural user experience.
- Work closely with software engineers and product managers throughout all stages of the product life cycle.
- Be constructively involved in the test phases of software products.
- Collaborate with the technical writing team to make technical communication around your designs as effective as your designs.
- Work with product managers to enhance your knowledge of new and existing Geosoft market sectors through client visits, attending user seminars, and conferences.
- Keep current on new and emerging UI technologies and concepts through on-going study, personal learning, and memberships in professional associations.
- Work within the R&D department to continually improve the development process methodology.
Other Job Information
This position is located in downtown Toronto. Up to 10% international travel may be required.
Education and Work Experience
- You have experience designing technical user interfaces, and can demonstrate success. We are looking for between one and five years experience in this field.
- A degree is required, preferably in Design, Human-Computer Interaction or other related discipline.
- A background or degree in an earth-science discipline, such as geology, geophysics, geochemistry, or geography an asset.
- Experience with Geosoft and/or the resource exploration industry is definitely an asset.
- A membership in a human-computer association or special-interest group is a plus.
Knowledge and Technical Skills
- Knowledge of a UI prototyping environment would be an asset.
- Skills with Visual Studio and a .NET development environment with a UI perspective is an asset.
- You are a critical and creative thinker with an excellent sense of good design, a strong technical background, and a passion for making things better.
- You can handle multiple projects in a fast-paced, results-oriented, dynamic environment.
- You want to have a real impact on the working lives of thousands of professionals who use your designs.
- You enjoy working with people, understanding their reactions, and creating outcomes that benefit all. This includes clients and members of your team.
- You pay attention to details, but are also flexible, open-minded, and pragmatic.
- You are a superb communicator and listener.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates must be authorized to work in Canada.
Please send your CV and cover letter by email to email@example.com with the subject header UI Designer.
Closing date for applications: September 2, 2008.
Established in 1986, Geosoft stands for integrity and best practice in earth science mapping and exploration technology. Today, Geosoft software is helping to simplify geospatial data access and analysis for improved understanding, knowledge development and business decision-making in industries such as mineral exploration, oil and gas, government, and in environmental investigations and UXO (Unexploded Ordnance) detection.
The company is headquartered in Toronto, Canada, with offices in the United States, South America, Europe, South Africa, and Australia. Geosoft’s partner network provides additional coverage throughout the United States and across the globe, in Russia, India, and China. Geosoft provides a quality work environment that is informal but professional, friendly and supportive. The company is employee-owned and has strong living-company principles, which have led to consistent and profitable growth for over 20 years.
For more information on working at Geosoft, please see the Careers page of our website at www.geosoft.com.