Teehan+Lax is currently reviewing portfolios of qualified Senior UI Designers who will research, architect, and design interactive experiences for web, software and device-based interfaces. We are looking for someone who is passionate about creating experiences that delight end-users and drive business goals: someone who shares our belief that designing great user experiences is as much about evoking an emotional response as it is about providing users with a means to an end. Candidates must be able to show examples of how they solved complicated problems without burdening users with complexity.
- At least 5 years professional interactive design experience.
- College or University Graduate in a related discipline (interaction or information design, HCI, computer science, behavioural sciences, etc.)
- Strong knowledge and experience in Information Architecture.
- Ability to perform visual design a bonus
- Strong leadership and people management skills.
- Proven ability to mentor and develop skills in all levels of designers.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills, including the ability to communicate effectively in small and large groups at all levels of a client organization.
- Must live, or be willing to commute to Toronto.
- Responsible for the developing of underlying content and functional architecture, navigation systems, interface elements, information design, and screen layouts for Web sites and other interactive applications.
- Able to perform systematic analysis (i.e. task flow, workflow, technological and organizational implications) and validation (prototyping, user and A/B/multivariate testing).
- Able to explore and document design decisions in a variety of modes, from high-level sketches to boxes-and-arrows flow diagrams to detailed wireframes.
- Proficiency with drawing and graphing applications, HTML, interactive prototyping tools.
- Provide leadership throughout project discovery, Information Architecture, visual concept development and front-end development.
- Help manage day-to-day operations, including setting priorities, assigning resources and ensuring project goals are achieved.
- Oversee simultaneous projects from inception to completion, reviewing project plans, designs and deliverables.
- Identify and implement process improvements to meet project and team needs.
- Work with Partners and Associates to ensure they are reacting appropriately to the strategic, logistic and creative needs of the client.
- Participate in the creative role of new business pitches, proposal development and project initiation.
- Work closely with clients through a consultative, participatory approach. Establish and nurture good client working relationships.
- Oversee the creative output of your team.
- Monitor and drive an ideal balance in the available skills and personality of the team towards the needs of our customers.
- Monitor and drive the team to utilize the best and latest methods and tools to be competitive.
- Help develop the culture and mindset of the team to ensure they are healthy, happy, inventive, curious, and open.
- Mentor the careers of your direct reports.
- Promote a culture of innovation and teamwork.
What’s different about working at Teehan+Lax
We focus exclusively on front end user experience design for the digital channel. There are no back-end build teams, no offline divisions. Everyone you’ll be working with desires to create best in breed user experiences. In fact, 90% of the staff here hold creative positions. That means no Account Managers, no Managing Directors, no Business Analysts. We maintain very little hierarchy. There are two roles at Teehan+Lax: Partners and Associates. The people with the right skills are put on the right projects. We’re small and nimble. There are no pitch teams, no “B” teams. All of our staff work directly with our clients, so if a client has a question that relates to IA they’ll speak to the Associate or Partner who worked on it – not an account manager.
How to apply
If you’re talented, smart, hard-working and dedicated, we’ll enable you to do the best work of your career. Send us a resume and portfolio of your work to “jobs [at] teehanlax [dot] com”. Suitable candidates will be contacted promptly. Please no phone calls.