Under the direction of the Portal Manager, responsible for development and maintenance of web applications for the MaRS Portal. This includes planning, developing, testing, integration and related documentation.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Working as part of a team, involved in planning, development, testing and launch of new web applications as well as maintenance of existing applications. This includes troubleshooting and anticipating concerns, and continuous upgrades of the portal as required.
- Working under the direction of the Portal Manager who provides user requirements documentation, develops specifications to address these needs and contributes to the development of strategies that will provide optimal results given budget, time and resource constraints.
- As a technical lead:
- Analyzes user requirements and feedback to drive effective development decisions
- Takes leadership in understanding needs and translating that knowledge into highly functional state-of-the-art web applications.
- Assesses usability and cost benefits of build vs. buy for new web applications
- Ensures technical and non-technical stakeholder needs are aligned.
- Generates – ** Detailed and comprehensive documentation suitable for technical review and interpretation including testing uses
- Clear, easy to interpret guides for internal user reference
- Projects this position will work on include: advanced search functionality, educational applications and customization of the Magnolia content management system to allow for decentralized user-friendly content input.
- Provides regular status updates on a weekly basis and communicates any significant relevant developments as needed
- Based on plans and requirements, provides accurate resource requirements and time estimates
- Committed to providing effective communication and support as needed to internal users and stakeholders and maintaining high levels of customer service
- Conducts regular unit testing on all work, prior to submission for Quality Assurance testing. Proactively ensures highest quality of work and adherence to coding standards.
- Takes an active role in the launch of new and revised applications including developing a launch plan, contributing to training and communication plans.
- Maintains state of the art domain expertise and remains up to date with trends and new developments and techniques within the industry. This includes participation in relevant conferences and seminars as well as personal reading, etc.
- All staff within MaRS, particularly with Portal Manager and IT Support team
- Post-secondary certification in computer science or related field
- Expert in database design and development (especially for MySQL)
- Min 1 year Java development and web development experience as well as another web development language such as PHP
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Min 1 year experience doing concept and specification work for web applications
- Strong background in creating software applications using object-oriented design and development tools and principles
- Knowledge/experience utilizing Apache, Tomcat, LDAP, PHP, AJAX
- Knowledge of, and experience with, Magnolia content management software is a plus
- Well-developed knowledge of web accessibility standards and guidelines
- Excellent communication skills, particularly in presenting options to non-technical members of project teams; ability to effectively participate in strategy discussions, including listening to and interpreting comments and questions and coming up with resolutions to problems.
- Motivated, self-starter
- Enjoys challenges, curious, problem solver
- Effective team player; able to work equally well on a team or as an independent contributor
- Pro-active in approach to solutions development and intra-team communication
- Sensitive to the needs of users with varying skill levels
- Effective time management skills
- Ability to prioritize
- Commitment to excellence, attention to detail
What MaRS Offers
- A good work environment where you get to be the expert
- Interesting projects for a reasonable client who wants to change the world
- A benefits package
- An opportunity to work collaboratively with other talented people
Send your resume to Cathy Bogaart