XTreme Labs is a Toronto/San Francisco-based agile development shop focused on working with early stage Internet and mobile companies. We are backed by a leading group of technology and finance executives, including Extreme Venture Partners.
You are a mobile developer with big aspirations to work on the next generation of games/applications for mobile devices (some devices that are out, and some not yet released). You will launch games/applications on various mobile devices that will be live in the various application stores.
Thrive in a start-up environment and join a leading team in the creation of world-class applications. You’ll be responsible for:
- Developing new BlackBerry/iPhone/Android games/applications
- Releasing new versions of games/applications as new devices and OS’s are released to the marketplace
- Enhancing application performance, usability, memory use and application size
Required Skills and Experience
- Must have 1-3 years experience in development on at least one of mobile, internet or desktop platforms
- Proficiency in at least one of Java, C++, Ruby
- Experience with UI design/graphics development is highly advantageous
- Must have real world experience with object oriented design and a clear understanding of object oriented design patterns
- Flash, ActionScript and Rails knowledge advantageous
- Ability to work independently, take initiative and contribute new ideas required in a diverse, fast-paced, team environment.
- Experience or interest in Agile software development practices and principles (e.g. TDD, Pair Programming, Refactoring, Continuous Integration…) a plus
- Organization and analytic skills, with exceptional problem solving ability
- A degree in a computer-related field
- Free breakfast every morning and lunch on Friday’s
- Downtown Toronto’s best rooftop patio
- Access to a Playstation 3 and Microsoft Surface in our games room
- Free access to onsite gym
- Full benefits
Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
StickerYou is an exciting upcoming web platform for consumers to create and order custom-made high quality stickers. It is a new innovative internet company that will inspire and impact millions of consumers with a launch in Fall 2009. It will be one of the most stimulating places on the Internet for users who want to express their unique lifestyle through the art of a sticker. We are a strategic, creative, and passionate group dedicated to creating the best platform in the world for online sticker creation and engagement.
The Web Design Director will lead the design and execution for the website’s user interface, online marketing, community, and videos. The design will be intended to inspire users on the website to create and order stickers, as well as contribute to StickerYou’s community of art and sticker life. This person will be an integral member of the website’s brand and development team. They will strategically and creatively execute design that enhances the user experience, creates fans of, and strengthens the brand of StickerYou. This individual will work with the Development, Brand, and Art team to ensure the style fits with the marketing, experiential, art bank, and technical objectives of the website. They will be an integral part of the team that expands the website wireframes, inspires creation, and optimizes artistic solutions for the site’s user experience.
- Reporting to the President you will develop and/or compliment wireframes, design concepts, and implement the execution of both static graphic (CSS, HTML) and interactive elements (Flash/Flex) for the StickerYou website.
- Following guidelines, provide a vision and high concept direction for web designs including developing drawings, concept images, mood boards and interactive elements
- Design, outsource to third parties, and manage the implementation of website creative elements such as illustrations, 2D and 3D elements, audio, video, and photos.
- Conceptualize, execute, and implement the design of on-line community, e-mail marketing, flash videos for the website
- Research, analyze and identify website trends in the social, e-commerce, and customization markets
- 5+ years of experience in the industry of Web and Graphic Design – consumer based web experiences a plus
- Superb ability and talent both as a graphic and flash designer
- Experience working with top-tier brands – interactive advertising agency experience a plus
- Understanding of website business requirements as it relates to branding design, interactivity, and user experience
- Great taste, inspiring creative, and excellent knowledge of contemporary visual and interactive visual culture
- Art direct and manage photo files, produce promotional and instructional videos
- Conceptual development and understanding of what motivates consumer centric social expression
- Excellent ability to work in teams, budget resource time, and maintain high quality of work under pressure and deadlines
- Passionate about stickers
- Easy-going attitude, ability to take directions well, as well as strong vision
- Superb knowledge of Adobe CS4 Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Flash 10
- Superb knowledge of CSS, HTML, XHTML, W3C and best practices
- Experience in web design optimization
- Time management and multi-tasking
- Knowledge of InDesign, Dreamweaver, Flash After Effects, and Final Cut a great plus
- Cover letter (including what motivates you and why you’re the best candidate)
- 15 images of web design work including 3 interactive elements designed using flash that best represent your abilities as an interactive graphic designer.
Applications will be reviewed on a first-come first-serve basis.
email@example.com, put “Web Design Director” in the subject headline
This position is for an experienced user experience designer and information architecture specialist. As part of our consulting organization, this role is responsible for working with customers to build cutting edge prototypes and user experience designs to meet their requirements. Our focus is on Microsoft technologies, so familiarity with Microsoft SharePoint and Microsoft Dynamics CRM are a definite recommendation.
Must have skills:
- Ability to define web site goals, user goals and personas
- Ability to capture requirements through a number of means including:
- Stakeholder interviews
- Group sessions
- Ability to write design briefs that capture the goals as well as the brand of the client
- Ability to create an information architecture in the form of site maps, taxonomies and wire-frames
- High fidelity wire-framing and interface prototyping for the purposes of client validation and usability testing (paper, Visio, Balsamiq, or use what works best for you)
- Ability to conduct usability tests using different techniques ranging from paper prototypes to functional prototypes to finished websites
- Ability to create of design mock-ups
- Experience working with developers to build the final product. This includes
- Slicing images
- Writing HTML
- Helping to implement Ajax/DHTML functionality
- Basically everything required to build the final product
The candidate also would ideally…
- Have experience working on-site with customers
- Be confident presenting to customers/participating in meetings
- Be familiar with business analysis/business process analysis as it relates to UI/IA/UX
- Have public sector experience (many of our customers are in the public sector)
- Have experience with Microsoft SharePoint (website content management, intranets, business applications)
- Have experience with Microsoft Dynamics CRM
- Small, dynamic, successful
- Multiple Gold certified Microsoft partner
- Focused on business process and information management
- Core strengths in MS Dynamics CRM, SharePoint, .NET and related technologies
- Based in Toronto, ON, Canada
- Current focus areas: public sector and healthcare
- Builds and evolves repeatable solution frameworks to accelerate solution deployment and increase customer value
- Performs only project-based consulting engagements.
Permanent or contract. Based in Toronto. We cannot sponsor candidates for immigration into Canada.
Send resumes (ideally with examples of recent work) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “UX/IA Job” in the subject line.
This is a contract position that can lead to permanent Please email cover letter and resume to Harvey dot Kreiswirth at logitech dot com
The Interactive Services Team of Logitech’s “Harmony” remote control division has an exciting 3 month contract (with a possibility of becoming permanent) available for an experienced User Interface Designer!
Enjoy the fun and excitement of Harmony’s startup atmosphere while benefiting from the resources and experience of Logitech’s Fortune 500 status. You will be a key player on a team that is transforming the industry with world-class design and award-winning innovation. In less than two years, Logitech’s Harmony universal remote controls have become the best-selling remotes in North America. Our fresh approach to home-entertainment control has taken the industry by storm. To continue with this exceptional growth, we need an exceptional User Experience Designer to join our team!
User Experience Designer
We are seeking a User Experience Designer capable of designing software and websites using various technologies. The role encompasses understanding business and technical objectives, creating/modifying information architecture, developing interaction models, defining user interfaces, and possibly helping with the visual design.
We’re looking for someone who has a passion for consumer entertainment devices and online software; someone who pushes creative boundaries and can effectively communicate their ideas from simple paper drawings through compelling, high-fidelity prototypes. The ideal candidate will have experience with dynamic interfaces and animation tools, and possess an enthusiasm for creating breakthrough UI.
Responsibilities include working with product management and engineering to conceive, develop, and prototype the software user interaction model and visual appearance, and then continuing the process to finalize designs, clearly document the solutions, and monitor their implementation. Experience building commercial web software and understanding the constraints of the software development environment is preferred. You must be a solid team player with excellent communication, presentation and problem solving skills.
- BA/BS or equivalent experience in Interaction Design or related discipline (Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Communication Arts, etc.) or equivalent experience
- 5+ years experience designing in the software technology industry
- A portfolio demonstrating breadth and creativity in successful user experience and visual design
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with technical and as business disciplines/colleagues
- Knowledge of information architecture, task-flow models, storyboarding, wire framing, visual design specifications and guidelines, asset production
- Experience executing interaction prototypes using a range of prototyping methods such as paper, screenshot click-throughs, HTML/ CSS, Flash, Silverlight, Expression Blend, etc.
- Proficiency with standard design applications (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc…)
- Ability to work under tight and changing timeframes and priorities (startup atmosphere)
This position is located in Toronto, Canada This is a contract position that can lead to permanent Please email cover letter and resume to Harvey dot Kreiswirth at logitech dot com
Teehan+Lax is currently reviewing portfolios of qualified Senior UI Designers who will research, architect, and design interactive experiences for web, software and device-based interfaces. We are looking for someone who is passionate about creating experiences that delight end-users and drive business goals: someone who shares our belief that designing great user experiences is as much about evoking an emotional response as it is about providing users with a means to an end. Candidates must be able to show examples of how they solved complicated problems without burdening users with complexity.
- At least 5 years professional interactive design experience.
- College or University Graduate in a related discipline (interaction or information design, HCI, computer science, behavioural sciences, etc.)
- Strong knowledge and experience in Information Architecture.
- Ability to perform visual design a bonus
- Strong leadership and people management skills.
- Proven ability to mentor and develop skills in all levels of designers.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills, including the ability to communicate effectively in small and large groups at all levels of a client organization.
- Must live, or be willing to commute to Toronto.
- Responsible for the developing of underlying content and functional architecture, navigation systems, interface elements, information design, and screen layouts for Web sites and other interactive applications.
- Able to perform systematic analysis (i.e. task flow, workflow, technological and organizational implications) and validation (prototyping, user and A/B/multivariate testing).
- Able to explore and document design decisions in a variety of modes, from high-level sketches to boxes-and-arrows flow diagrams to detailed wireframes.
- Proficiency with drawing and graphing applications, HTML, interactive prototyping tools.
- Provide leadership throughout project discovery, Information Architecture, visual concept development and front-end development.
- Help manage day-to-day operations, including setting priorities, assigning resources and ensuring project goals are achieved.
- Oversee simultaneous projects from inception to completion, reviewing project plans, designs and deliverables.
- Identify and implement process improvements to meet project and team needs.
- Work with Partners and Associates to ensure they are reacting appropriately to the strategic, logistic and creative needs of the client.
- Participate in the creative role of new business pitches, proposal development and project initiation.
- Work closely with clients through a consultative, participatory approach. Establish and nurture good client working relationships.
- Oversee the creative output of your team.
- Monitor and drive an ideal balance in the available skills and personality of the team towards the needs of our customers.
- Monitor and drive the team to utilize the best and latest methods and tools to be competitive.
- Help develop the culture and mindset of the team to ensure they are healthy, happy, inventive, curious, and open.
- Mentor the careers of your direct reports.
- Promote a culture of innovation and teamwork.
What’s different about working at Teehan+Lax
We focus exclusively on front end user experience design for the digital channel. There are no back-end build teams, no offline divisions. Everyone you’ll be working with desires to create best in breed user experiences. In fact, 90% of the staff here hold creative positions. That means no Account Managers, no Managing Directors, no Business Analysts. We maintain very little hierarchy. There are two roles at Teehan+Lax: Partners and Associates. The people with the right skills are put on the right projects. We’re small and nimble. There are no pitch teams, no “B” teams. All of our staff work directly with our clients, so if a client has a question that relates to IA they’ll speak to the Associate or Partner who worked on it – not an account manager.
How to apply
If you’re talented, smart, hard-working and dedicated, we’ll enable you to do the best work of your career. Send us a resume and portfolio of your work to “jobs [at] teehanlax [dot] com”. Suitable candidates will be contacted promptly. Please no phone calls.
Update: This position has been filled.
Zerofootprint is looking for an experienced developer who is environmentally focused for a key position in our exciting start-up. We are looking for someone with the skills necessary to connect our SOA-based carbon management software to external systems by improving our API to connect with third parties. You will be collaborating with our internal development team as well as external clients to improve the external interface to our carbon engine. You must have experience designing and implementing a web service that was used in a production environment.
- help to design and implement APIs for external use by customers and partners
- write and maintain unit and integration tests for all work
- write documentation for all work, both for internal (team) and external (client) use
- test against third party connector solution
- 3+ years of Java experience
- B.Sc in Computer Science
- experience designing and implementing web services, specifically using SOAP and REST
- experience with writing/parsing XML, XPath
- experience with SQL databases, preferably MySQL and/or PostgreSQL
- comfortable on the Unix/Linux command line (e.g. Bash) and in Mac OS X
- exposure to Spring, Hibernate, Tomcat, Apache
- good team and interpersonal skills
- excellent spoken and written English
- SOA experience, ideally using Mule and JMS
- experience with concurrency and multi-threading
- web application experience
- knowledge of the science of climate change and the impact of carbon consumption on our planet
About Zerofootprint Software Inc.
Zerofootprint provides essential technologies and services to the growing carbon management market. It operates in three complimentary, for-profit arenas-Offsetting, Consulting, and Software as a Service (or Software as a Platform). It also has a strong presence in the not-for-profit market through, among others, its building skinning and city carbon calculator projects.
Zerofootprint’s solution “circle” provides end-to-end services to enterprises, organization, governments, and individuals. The company’s full suite of tools measure, manage, report, and offset carbon production. Enterprises engaging the VELO solution participate in a Continuous Improvement Process that will reduce carbon emissions.
This position has been filled.
Who We Are
Tired of working for a traditional company that looks at graphs, numbers, and reports when determining your productivity? Want to work towards being the most creative, and fun company on earth? To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. If you’d like to help us build that place, let us know. This is your chance to make history!!
We are looking for motivated and dynamic people who live and breathe ASP.NET.
- Web site and application development with Microsoft technologies.
- Provide time estimates for various aspects of development.
- When necessary, provide other development support that is inline with applicant’s skill set (HTML markup, etc.).
- Troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- The ability to reverse engineer code
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in the following except as noted:
- VB.NET / C# / ASP.NET
- .NET 1.1 & 2.0 Framework
- Visual Source Safe
- SQL Server 2000, 2008
- SQL, and associated normalization & optimization techniques
- Classic ASP an asset
- Windows platform and related technologies
- Strong communication skills and a team player
- Degree or diploma in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent
Want to apply?
All applicants wanting to apply are asked to apply at: http://tbe.taleo.net/NA12/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=IPNETWORKXS&cws=1&rid=40
LearnHub is a young, energetic start-up located in downtown Toronto. Our site, LearnHub.com, is a social learning platform, with a global mandate to change the way people teach and learn online.
We are looking for a dynamic and customer-oriented individual to manage our partner accounts.
This job is perfect for you because:
- You are detail-oriented and very organized
- You enjoy working with people and have strong communication skills
- Customer is "king" attitude when dealing with clients and client matters
- You are self-motivated, ambitious, and actively seek out challenges
- You have strong analytic and project management skills
- You understand and are willing to meet the demands of a start-up work environment
- You have an ability to push through obstacles standing in the way of project completion.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Managing the setup of clients on our platform
- Tracking client performance and creating accurate reports
- Working with clients to resolve any problems that may arise
- Interfacing with our development team to implement new features to help clients succeed
- Working with our India-based team on client related issues
- Identifying current challenges and obstacles to appropriate people and working with them to find solutions.
- Education: undergraduate degree (any specialization)
- Experience: minimum project and/or account management (2+ years), sales experience would be a plus.
We offer a casual, fun and respectful work environment, competitive compensation, and an opportunity to be part of something meaningful. Our office is located in the hip Queen & Spadina neighborhood.
This position reports to the VP of Business Development.
If this sounds interesting, please email email@example.com
We want to create the world’s largest, most active and most valued network of freelancers and very small business owners in the world. And we want them to share, network, support, learn and work with each other. If you like enabling and bringing people together… then we’d like to bring you in to be our Community Manager.
With over 800,000 new users since our launch in 2004 FreshBooks has developed one of the largest networks of super smart freelancers and very small business owners. Our customers are professionals who take pride in their work and value customer relationships — and we like’m a heck of a lot. And while we certainly help them enjoy their invoicing… we’d like to help them out a lot more by connecting them with each other so they can share and learn together as a community.
As our Community Manager you will be responsible for having our customers meet with each other online and offline.
We will be successful if:
- FreshBooks customers:
- Are sharing and communicating with each other online in droves
- Are networking and building their businesses together
- In local markets are self-organizing to meet with each other to collaborate and network
- You have:
- Crafted and executed on this plan with minimal supervision, tons of passion and with excellence
- Enlisted the resources of our most passionate and professional customers to help run the entire thing
- Extended this network beyond FreshBooks users to attract other freelancers and small business owners
- Significantly raised the bar for word of mouth referrals even higher
- Built the largest, most active and most valuable network of freelancers and very small business owners
What you’ll need to have:
- A proven track record of building self-sustaining customer communities/networks
- The desire to start from scratch and make it all happen
- Keen and intuitive passion for helping small businesses help each other
- The ability to effectively enroll and enlist people in your efforts
- A love of working with teams
- A flair for inventiveness combined with a strong ability to organize and execute
If creating outstanding customer experiences and a passion for organizing and bringing communities and people together is what makes you tick send us your resume. Cheers!
What we are seeking
We’re looking for a junior to intermediate web designer with experience in designing smart and engaging end-user experiences for the web.
- You will have experience producing visually stunning design plans/mockups working with a web application team.
- You have demonstrated understanding of graphic design as it relates to users’ needs and modern design standards, as well as success designing intuitive and user-friendly websites.
- You are expert in Adobe products such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver etc.
- An asset if you can build standard-compliant XHTML/CSS templates.
- You must have a significant design background with at least 2 years of experience.
About this role
Novus Health is an innovative health services company working with many different corporate clients and national brands. You will have an opportunity to be creative and work with some other talented people like yourself.
We have a fun and relaxed environment located near Queen and Spadina. We are seeking someone talented to start right away. This is for a 3 – 6 month full time contract and there are opportunities for full time permanent employment.
Does this sound like you?
Apply in confidence via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and at least three examples of your work that demonstrate your skills. Please refer to “Toronto Designer” in the subject line.
We can only respond to the applicants that provide the above information and only those that we are interested in connecting with. Thank you for your interest!