Full Time Permanent Position in Edmonton, AB
As an nForm consultant, your primary responsibility will be translating business and customer insight into concrete plans and prototypes, such as conceptual models, interaction flows, wireframes, and functional specs. You will work with clients, their users, and nForm colleagues to understand, define, and solve problems to create business and user value through designing fantastic user experiences.
Excellent interpersonal skills are required for client-facing engagements. We’re a small firm so you’ll be called on to serve in a variety of roles–flexibility and the ability to tackle new challenges are important.
- Strong design portfolio including things like scenarios, interaction flows, sketches, sitemaps, wireframes, prototypes, and possibly great final interfaces
- Fluent with Visio, Omingraffle or other diagramming tool
- Ability to model interaction flow, navigation structure, and other structural components of system
- Ability to show ideas visually
- Ability to write clearly so that you can communicate your ideas
- HTML and CSS (you won’t be coding, but your designs need to be feasible)
- Web 2.0 awareness (from acronyms like RSS and RIA to your own thoughts on social software)
- Ability to listen and take direction
- Ability to learn new skills, both with guidance and on your own
- Ability to work independently
- Keen interest in the craft of user experience. We’d like to know who your influences are, where you look in the community for guidance and inspiration, what books and blogs you read, and who you think is doing the coolest work online
- 2 – 5 years of work experience doing interaction design or information architecture preferred. This experience may have been in a dedicated role, or as part of work doing innovative web design
- Your portfolio, process, and mindset trump both formal education and previous jobs, though we appreciate good schools and good work
- Salary based on experience, plus benefits to start, review at 6 months, 1 year, and then annually
- Signing bonus for the right employee
- Relocation assistance for the right employee (if you are moving across the country, North America, or internationally)
- Participation in employee bonus program
- 3 weeks vacation to start
- Participation in employee professional development program
Some compensation isn’t about money or benefits. We’re all here because we like working with an experienced, smart team that not only serves great clients, but also influences the practice of user experience across industry. In the last year and a half, nForm has spoken at the Chilean IA Retreat, the Government Marketing Workshop, DigitalNow 2007, UX Week, UPA 2007, the IA Summit 2007 & 2008, the German IA Conference, the Italian IA Summit, Northern Voice, with upcoming appearances at UPA 2008, and others. We host our own Canadian User Experience workshop, CanUX, every year in Banff.
It’s not just events. We regularly blog and write articles, we co-founded the IA Institute, and we’re thrilled to announce that company principal Gene Smith has recently published a book, titled Tagging: People-Powered Metadata for the Social Web.
How to Apply
Email your resume (Word or PDF) and link to your online portfolio to Yvonne Shek, at email@example.com. If we’re going to go ahead with an interview, we’ll let you know within a week. Unfortunately we can’t respond to everyone who applies, so if you haven’t heard from us in a week, we’re probably looking for a different skillset.