Originally from http://jobs.well.ca/jobs/80-software-developer-2
We’re looking for an experienced software developer to build new features for the biggest online health store in Canada. The position is in a small team so you’ve got to be someone that enjoys the responsibility and freedom to build stuff — from thinking up new ideas to writing the actual code. The ideal candidate is someone that writes PHP web applications for fun, doesn’t think AJAX is that scary, and sometimes has nightmares involving large SQL statements. The position is full time in our downtown Guelph office.
- Dream up, design, code and test features for a live e-Commerce site
- Prioritize plans and feature requests and work independently to produce great code
- Understand usability and design
- Work alongside our CEO to cook french-toast for breakfast meetings
- Have a portfolio of previously worked-on web applications
- Clear verbal and writing skills
- Knowledge of Flash / Flex
- Graphic design portfolio – Photoshop, etc.
Compensation and Hours
- This is a full time position; talk to us about salaries
Well.ca is Canada’s largest online health and beauty store. We sell everything you can find in a drugstore, online.
Well.ca is a customer-oriented store. We want to make sure that every single customer gets the best, most honest and caring service we can offer. So we’re looking for caring, friendly people to work on our team.
This is a great place to work if you’re keen on working in a fast-growing start-up environment. Because we’re a relatively small team, every team member gets to contribute. We are looking for people who are creative innovators, can adjust easily to change, like a job that varies day-to-day, and are passionate about everything that they do.
Apply for this Job
BRAINPARK, INC is a software company that creates smart and simple software products to make work easier and people more productive. Our solution is a “mash-up” of social software, semantic web, eLearning, information retrieval, social search, and expertise location management. This next generation approach to enterprise software deals head on with information overload, user generated preferences (meaning and relevancy), and a social context.
We are currently searching for a Software Developer to be part of our team of people who are aggressively innovative and pioneering in their thinking. Brainpark is not just about software development, we are about bringing people together to identify problems in the workplace and brainstorm solutions to solve them. If you are an independent and self motivated worker, this job will appeal to you.
This is a 12 month contract with the possibility of becoming a full time position. Start date: Immediately
The ideal candidate will have a passion for what they do, a strong attention to detail, the ability to produce high-quality work quickly, and a portfolio that demonstrates experience in front-end development, designing and conceptualizing graphics for web sites and other digital media.
- Work closely with design team members to realize the visual design of the product
- Work closely with a cross-functional team in the planning, design and implementation of effective user interfaces for existing and new projects Turn graphics created in Photoshop, Illustrator or simply sketched on paper into beautiful, efficient code
- Maintain UI specifications such as style guides and visual standards documents
- Keep informed of accepted practices, new technologies and new tools for web site design
- Bring creativity, innovation, and assertiveness to the table
- Continually raise the bar on creative assignments, being open and able to act on constructive feedback
- Solve problems to a degree where each design concept is not seen in isolation, but rather, seen as the ‘bigger picture’ in a creative campaign
- Work to drive the business through clear and simple design that supports the unique and differentiated brand experience
- Convert creative strategy into compelling design
- Minimum 3-5 years graphic design experience with design and front end development
- Experience in application design, visual design, and/or website design is required
- Skilled in design and web enabling software – Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
- Working knowledge of Ajax, and Django is an asset
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage and prioritize projects and meet deadlines
- Good understanding of browser and accessibility issues
- Well-organized with the ability to handle multiple tasks/projects simultaneously
- Good design sensibility
- Knowledge of user-experience design, user interface design, interaction design is an asset
- Portfolio showcasing your clean, simple, ‘less-is-more’ design aesthetic – we like white space
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Enjoy working in a team environment
- Good sense of humour – the goofier the better!
If you are interested in this opportunity and meet the above qualifications, please submit your resume with wage expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We strongly recommend that you take our developer test posted here:
Those who are qualified will be contacted.
Apply for this job
Microsoft is hosting an free evening event at Fed Hall at UWaterloo talking about gaming, XBox Live Community Games, and entrepreneurship. The event is looking is scheduled to have a series of short presentations about how to build a gaming studio. It will feature folks from Microsoft, Frozen North, Infusion Development, and KPMG.
Microsoft has been criticised about the need for a App Store for Windows Mobile (it’s coming). While the story on mobile is emerging, the story for gaming launched in November 2008. Xbox Live Community Games and XNA Creators Club allow designers and developers to create, share, and play games created by others. The FAQ has details about who can submit games and how you can make money. There is additional support for students and startups in getting access to the tools. Students can full access to developer tools at DreamSpark: Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition, SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition and XNA Game Studio 3.0. Startups can join BizSpark and gain access to MSDN Premium for almost free (it’s a $100 after 3 years or an exit event). If you are a startup, there are additional benefits in the BizSpark program including access to Network Partners like nGen – Niagara Interactive Media Generator, Communitech and others across Canada that can help support your business development and growth. You don’t need to be in BizSpark to access the services of these groups and others. And there are other fantastic resources like York Technology Association, MaRS, Interactive Ontario, and others.
One of the most exciting tools that will be release in the Spring is Kodu (formerly Boku) from Microsoft Research. Kodu is programming environment and language designed for kids. The programming environment runs on the Xbox and is built in XNA. It was shown as part of the keynote at CES 2009 (750Kb).
The conversation on January 29, 2009 won’t be focused on the technology. It will focus on the mix of technology, business development, and programs available to Canadian video game entrepreneurs to help them get started.
To register, visit ic.infusionangels.com or send Kayla Spiess an email with your name and other contact details.
||Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:30 PM to 7:30 PM
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, ON Canada
The primary purpose of the position is to oversee, and manage web content for the Richard Ivey School of Business, including creating, editing, reorganizing and or repurposing existing copy to meet standards for web consumption. The Web Communication Specialist will work closely with the Web Analyst in IT to implement web communications initiatives that position the Ivey Business School and its people as an internationally recognized, world class organization.
Key Result Areas
- Responsible for content development and management of the corporate pages of the website, particularly the Homepage and About Ivey pages.
- Oversees content on all other areas of the website in terms of ensuring that messaging meets corporate communications, brand and formatting standards and guidelines.
- Responsible for editing, reorganizing and repurposing existing written copy to meet standards for web consumption and posts new content on a daily basis to maintain an evolving high profile web presence.
- Writes new content for the web as needed, particularly for the corporate pages noted above.
- Stays current with new web technologies and tools, such as social networking and podcasting, in order to advise and integrate person to person or other elements to engage our stakeholders online.
- Tracks web statistics and prepares periodic reports; analyzes data and implements or advises on content changes to improve user experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of web design, site building and content management software tools for the development and maintenance of web sites.
Required Education, Experience, and Abilities
- University degree in Communications, English, Journalism, Public Relations or Marketing
- Excellent overall writing skills with a minimum of three years professional Web-writing experience
- Extensive experience and skills in corporate communications, marketing, public relations or internal communications
- Technical understanding of website development
- Familiar with graphic design concepts
- Experience in Frontpage/Expression Web or similar content development and management applications as well image editing/creating applications (e.g., Adobe Photoshop)
- Familiar with content management systems and information architecture
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a desire to build effective relationships
- Demonstrated self-starter and independent worker with initiative and drive
- Proven ability to think creatively and problem solve
- Ability and willingness to work in a fast-paced environment with demanding deadlines
Email your resume: email@example.com
This is a two year renewable employment contract with a comprehensive benefits package