Are you looking for a fast-paced, creative and challenging work environment?
Is working with energetic, passionate people right up your alley?
Torstar’s portfolio of world-class internet sites currently includes workopolis.com, toronto.com, thestar.com, wheels.ca, Olive Media and a mix of other regional sites.
Forward your resume to: email@example.com by January 5, 2009
Reporting to the Director of Publishing Technology, you will be responsible for managing entire infrastructure powering all Torstar online properties, including servers, code promotion processes and QA and 24/7 support desk. Responsibilities include:
- Manage team of System administrators, DBAs responsible for 24/7 operation of high traffic web sites with high uptime expectations
- Ensure seamless 24/7 operations of Servers and network production infrastructure
- Interact and evaluate 3rd party service providers, negotiate and execute SLA
- Manage 24/7 support ticketing system, assign pager rotation and manage problem escalation and responses.
- Establish departmental, team and individual goals
- Create policies and procedures to ensure efficient operations within the department
- Establish procedures to ensure robust code promotion process ensuring all steps are properly defined and followed: functional and stress testing, QA, code promotion to staging for UAT and to production. Establish proper sign-off procedures.
- Establish metrics for system monitoring the purpose of measuring success and conforming to agreed upon SLAs;
- Maintain dashboard reports for client system uptime and incidents and report them to clients on a regular basis.
- Work closely with System Architects to ensure engineering team has all resources it needs to evolve our core product offering.
- Work with Director of Technology to develop budgets and track performance against those budgets
- Maintain regular communications with clients, announcing new software releases or patches and notifying them of any infrastructure related issues that may affect them
Desired Experience and Knowledge
- Minimum 8 years in a Senior System Administrator or operational capacity, preferably in a software organization in a high availability 24/7 environment.
- Ability to lead and motivate a small talented team
- In depth knowledge of server and network infrastructure – ability to roll-up sleeves and work with System Administrators when necessary.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Experience creating and negotiating SLAs with clients
- Understanding of software code promotion procedures from development to staging to production
- Experience designing and executing testing and QA procedures
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical or business management discipline or equivalent
- Candidate must be organized, detail oriented, with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience developing operating, capital and resource budgets
Desired Personal Attributes
- High attention to detail and commitment to quality.
- Thrives on working under pressure in a fast paced multi-project environment
- Self-motivated, can also work independently without constant supervision
- Applies initiative and creativity when approaching challenges
- Able to communicate effectively within a team and with clients
- Welcomes being challenged and pushed professionally
- Takes active interest in the company
About Torstar Digital
Torstar Digital was created in February 2005 to lead Torstar into its digital future. Torstar Digital’s mission is to deliver technology and strategic leadership to its online-only properties, create winning online businesses that can leverage Torstar’s wealth of media assets and assist in online enabling Torstar’s existing portfolio of print businesses. Torstar recognizes the importance and tremendous growth of the Internet and in turn, is investing heavily in best-in-class leadership, talent and technology to accelerate its growth into the digital media landscape. Torstar’s portfolio of world-class internet sites currently includes workopolis.com, toronto.com, thestar.com, wheels.ca, Olive Media and a mix of other regional sites.
Also please visit Torstar Digital on Facebook