Rogers Wireless, Canada’s largest wireless carrier, is looking for a passionate mobile interaction designer to join our User Experience team, to be based in Toronto, Ontario.
This individual will be responsible for the concept, design and execution of intuitive, highly usable, engaging user interfaces for all mobile devices and applications in Rogers Product Portfolio.
The ideal candidate will possess excellent user interface design skills, a strong understanding of human interface design, and a natural ability to understand users’ needs. Previous experience in application and/ or web design is essential, while experience in mobile device design is highly desired. A gifted eye for aesthetics and attention to detail are a must.
This individual is an analytic problem solver who can take user research, user & business requirements and translate them into user interface designs that are highly usable and engaging. Throughout the new product development process, this individual will be called upon to produce mock-ups, wireframes, storyboards, screen flows and prototypes (paper and/or interactive). As the successful candidate will design and produce all final graphical assets that will appear in Rogers mobile devices and applications, experience in icon design is essential.
This individual will also help to author, implement and test detailed user interface specifications and will be involved in roadmap planning & coordination, user interface concept development and technical specification development for vendor use.
The successful candidate will have strong organizational and problem solving skills, excellent communication skills both written and oral, and solid relationship building skills. The deployment of new products is the result of a team effort, so the ability to work in a team environment is required.
- Conceive, design and produce iconography and graphical UI elements for all mobile devices, applications and services.
- Develop a visual evolution roadmap for all iconography and graphical UI elements.
- Design user interfaces for mobile devices, services and applications in the Rogers Product Portfolio.
- Communicate, test and validate this UI designs by producing mock-ups, wireframes, storyboards, screen flows and prototypes (paper and/or interactive).
- Assist in ensuring new devices and applications are properly architected from end-to-end based on user experience guidelines.
- Act as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for User Interface and User Experience
- Testing and evaluation of new devices and applications.
- Assist in evaluation of new and existing vendors ability to comply with UI/UE requirements
- Providing user interface guidance to device OEMs and internal product managers for application development.
- Participate / co-ordinate conference calls between device manufacturers and third party vendors for product development.
- Provide support and assistance to New Product Development team members for all new product launches.
- Other day-to-day activities and/or projects as outlined by the manager.
- Post-secondary education (preferably in graphic design, interaction design, multimedia design, industrial design or a related field).
- 2-3 years of user interface design experience focusing on mobile (highly desired) web, or software applications.
- An outstanding portfolio of work demonstrating the successful delivery of innovative, easy-to-use, visually stunning interface design solutions.
- Exceptional understanding of fundamental design disciplines (typography, composition, color and animation) and principals (affordance, clustering, progressive disclosure, consistency, etc…)
- Ability to work effectively and independently on multiple simultaneous tasks within a fast pace environment.
- Proficiency in graphic design tools, including Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Proficiency in visual prototyping and wireframing tools, such as Visio, Illustrator and Flash.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel)
- Excellent oral & written communication abilities.
- Strong problem solving skills, detail oriented, with the ability to manage multiple tasks, deadlines and priorities.
- Highly motivated individual with superior organizational and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of overall wireless industry – GSM/GPRS/EDGE/HSDPA, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc…
- Willingness to work flexible hours to meet changing deadlines.
Applications can be email to Markus Grupp, Manager – User Experience on Markus.Grupp at rci.rogers.com.